Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Its official, im swapping gears. 4.37's are going bye bye in favor of 4.88's! Im sick of trying to pull hills with my 32"s. "Project x-mas" as I have now termed it, is going to include stainless steel brake lines, 4.88 gears, poly a-arm bushings, and rancho Rs9000 shocks. Im going to have the gears swapped while im having my 90k service done. I figure this might save me a little on installation costs, since the mech. will have to change the diff fluid anyways. Anyone have a fairly accurate labor figure for a gear swap? Im letting my nissan dealer do it, but they know me well, and always cut me a good deal. Any help/suggestions guys? Chris, know you have done the swap, thoughts?
ps...my 4.37s will be on the market for a very fair price after the swap, if interested, let me know!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Wade,
I would make sure the tech doing the work has done so before. There are so many tolerances that have to be perfect that I have heard it's easier to rebuild motors. I have friends who can build motors with their eyes closed but will do everything to avoid doing gears. Just ask them if they have done this before. I would hate to have you saying your doing operation: easter in april. When I did my swap I bought complete axles, from a wrecked kingcab , factory set up.You can get away with just a third member in the back. The downside of my way is that you may only find 4:63's, but that may be enough. Maybe I am too cautios but I have had no problems with them running 34's and 33's on the highway or on the trail. I live in florida so hills are not a problem for me.but at least do your homework. good luck .....lator

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
labor is usually in the neighbor hood of $150 bucks per end I think for gears, not including the $500 per end for parts, ouch! I hope I am not too far off on the labor estimate, it may be more at the dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Wade, I'm not sure if your referring to me or not with regards to thoughts, but if so I will have to say you'll be able to bake your 32's no problem! As you know I'm running the same gears with 35's and the only difference I've noticed is the gas mileage, but the power and pick-up is still there. In running the 35's the power etc, is just a bit less than with the 33's I had but hardly noticeable. If you want my opinion, go to a gear shop they for me at least were the same price if not cheaper than the Nissan rates and they will also shim-it properly and if your nice will upgrade your limited slip capablilty in doing so. Last but not least you'll love the 9000's, just a completely different world than the stock or even soft-hearted aftermarket rancho's that are usually sold for the Nissan's.
In closing all I can say is 4:88's??? ENJOY!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts