Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a 1966 fairlane with a 390 motor and auto tranny, but the only way i would be interested is if the tranny is a C-6. I am going to swap the tranny and engine into my 1978 ford truck if the tranny is a C-6. when did ford start making the C-6, and how could I tell if this car has that tranny? I can't crawl underneath it because it is about an hour away from me, just trying to see if this swap is even feasable before I make the drive up there to look at it or drive it. Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I know there were C-6's in 1967.
Earlier than that may have been Ford's Cruise-O-Matic.
However, those could also be the C-6 since they were in full-size vehicles.
Havack's site should be of some help.
There's some pan diagrams to identify tranny type.

G

·
I restored a '64 T-bird roadster for my neighbor. It has the 390 and cruise-o-matic (with a 9" BTW). I'm wondering why you would want to put the 390 in. I would think you could find a 351W or M or a 400 from a 70's Ford truck or full size Ford or Mercury sedan. I got my son a '73 Mercury Monterey with a 400 and C6. That thing has all the torque you could hope for.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 302 in the truck blew up, looking for a cheap swap, preferrably more cubic inches. the fairlane is is almost being given to me by the person that owns it. I thought this would be a feasable swap unless motor mounts and stuff would be to expensive...thanks Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.