Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now tired of breaking the springs in my willys and have decided to up to a linkage type setup, I was looking at killer bee picks and it looks like he has a radius arm type setup, I would like to run one on the right by the diff that has two attachment points to eliminate wrapup and one on the opposite side that has only one axle attachment point to allow for no binding under flex, I have seen something similar done to a ford bronco where one arm was given a pivot point near the axle, he said in his post that it didn't seem to effect on road habits and increased flex off road a lot. also has anyone had any experience cutting a leaf spring pack in half to create 1/4 packs? I know its not the way they are made but I can't afford custom springs.

yes I would love to go to that type of setup the problem is I run a rear pto drive and a dana 10 with offset diff and to put it mildly there is just not much room under my jeep anymore, my main concern at this point is actually the front as this is where I am breaking leaf spring packs all the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did you ever see Mike Knorr's article on his 1/4 elliptical setup? http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/quarter/ There's some good low buck ideas in there. I really like his linkages on his 4 link. He has the top two bars angled inwards towards the differential so he doesn't need a panhard rod to keep the axle centered. I was playing with it while we were building it and I was kind of surprised to find no bind at all with this setup. We had the rear of his Jeep way up on jack stands and the axle was sitting on the floor without the springs and shocks attached. I found that I could pick one side of the axle up until it hit the frame (over 2 feet) and the other side would just lay on the floor.

Avalanche just uses some square steel tubing for the hanger bracket and bolts it into the existing spring hanger. There's pictures in Mike's article. it should be pretty easy to duplicate. Mike ended up adding some leafs to his packs. All he did was cut them off with a chop saw and use a cobalt drill bit to make a hole for the centering pin that holds the leafs in the hanger brakcet.

Anyways, the article explains it all pretty well and Mike is normally happy to answer questions about it. I think his off-road.com e-mail is on the article. let me know if it's not. Make sure to ask him about the changes he's made since the article was written.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.