Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This not such a technical question but what the hel? I have a 84cj7 and am wondering about the iginition and key lock, you can crank my jeep w/0 a key or take the key out during running. I tried everything w/ that lever in front of the key, but no luck. Is that what the lever is for locking the igintion?
thanks jtydell

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You need to treat the Jeep to a new lock cylinder. That one is worn out to where it will no longer hold the key. Happens to lots of them after 180,000 miles./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you try for a new locker, try using a different key. I once had this brass key that was very warn and it would fall out all the time, but one day I used a different key (unwarn) and it worked like new. So check your key to see if it is worn first; otherwise opt for the new lock cylinder. Never mind this, I just read that you could turn it with out a key--my bad. Follow CJDave's advice.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
itydell another fellow Jeepster owner, awesome! I own a '71 SC-1, my second pride and joy (TJ and CJ-2A are the wifes). My Scrambler and Scout II do the same thing, kinda nice, never forget your keys. I couldn't tell from your bio, do you have the full doors and keys to them? I also have the 1/2 top and full doors, but had no keys to get in, hence, no locking. I removed the lockset from one of the doors and had two keys made for $10, well worth it. Now I can lock the doors (with all the junk inside cause I had to leave it due to breakage) and feel secure. I once owned my older brother's '79 CJ-5, which needed a new ignition cylinder. It cost me $40 new at the local dealership. Needless to say, I know he HAS to use a key, ha ha /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The ignition lock cylinder really isn't that hard to replace. I did it to my 88 YJ after 150,000 or so miles. I think it was like $16 at the auto parts store. I'm not sure if it's harder on an old CJ, but on my YJ it wasn't too bad. Only hard part was having to rig up a way to compress the lock ring under the steering wheel to get the anti-theft plate off. (because I never seem to have the real tools for the job) Then the lock cylinder is only held in with one small allen-head pin-screw thing. It's a one-moonguy job, maybe 2-moonguys with removing the lockplate.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Pete, forget that one or two moonguy business. It says right here in their contract that a "stoker" an "oiler" a "fireman" and a "rigger" must be present on all jobs. No matter that some of those positions were obsolete 80 years ago, a contract is a contract and you are risking a strike otherwise./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Whoa - thanks Dave, don't want a Moonguy-walkout. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I was just kinda borrowing the concept from the howler-monkey mechanic banana scale - "a one-banana job", etc.

Oh well.

On a side note, a good friend of mine runs and restores old steamboats down in Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, and there are still plenty of oilers, stokers, and firemen on those babies /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Maybe the moonguys can work there. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Actually, he's a portly fellow, kinda looks like a moonguy... /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
mine used to be like that until i sprayed some liquid wrench into the key slot. now i have to use the key again. try it before you replace it.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.