Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonding if anyone has those 385,000 candle power kc lights. How bright are they? Currently I have some $17 walmart wannabees. They are 100wt and I can see roughly a mile and a half mile really clear. I also have them mounted on my roll bar so I don't get the best on road lighting since it hits the top of hte cap. Anyways, thought I'd ask if anyone knows

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Pro comps are just as good as KCs but less expensive /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
If your current ones are giving you 1.5 miles of clear veiwing I cant imagine you need more than that???/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

The best setup I have found is to run fog type lights down low like bumper/pushbar and a set of driving lights up high like rollbar/roof.
(it is just overkill to run more than that, unless you race the baja)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you do run some good ones on your roll bar, definetly buy some heat sheilds to go under them, they will cut down the glare, and save the paint on your roof.
I learned about the paint thing the hard way /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Famous last words "Boy you sure can smell the heat those things put off" followed by "Oh $hit"

(alot of my adventures end with "Oh $hit" /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on my lights on the roll bar I shimmed them up about inch above the mounting brakets so they are about 3 inches from the roof. I've never seen any heat shield on them. Can you buy them or just have to make them? What do they look like?

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You used to be able to buy them but they would be easy enough to make. They are just a peice of sheet metal about 4 inchs wide and about 8 inchs long with a slight curve in them (store bought ones are usually chrome)
They attach under the light and extend under and infront of the light deflecting the heat and light up away from the roof.(does that make any sense???/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif)

The lights that burnt the paint off the roof of my 78 chevy were "Aeres"(sp?) 150 watt "Flame Throwers" and they lived up to their name /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif they were killer lights though (I don't know if they are still made, this was back in 1981)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got 2 of those 150 watters (385,000 candlepower). They are very nice, I've got two of em on a pre runner style bar. Let me tell you, no need for the old handheld deer spotting light! (when spotting deer that is) These babies are sweet! I couldnt see a need for more of them, except for the fact of just havin them and lookin' good!

-Tom

Black Z-71
`94 GMC
If you got it, a truck brought it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont really like lights on the roof or roll bar because when your out wheeling the tend to get hit buy tree branchs. Then when you need them the are pointing at the moon or to the side and even some times even behind you. And thats not good.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got 4 of the stainless steel housed KC 385,000 CP lights. I had them wired in sets of two. Granted, two are plenty of light, but 4 is (plenty X 2)/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif. I really like the lights and hope to soon have them on my full size truck. They do require a lot of electricity though. When you flip the switch on all four it is almost like driving in the daytime. I would like to have 2 forward and 2 to the rear on seperate switches. The two to the rear you dont need all the time but when backing up they would come in handy. Just my $0.02 worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya. mine now if I turn on all my lights my engine at idles slows down. I hacve the walmrt kc wannabes, some blue fog lamp (very good if tight fog too) then the dims and brights are on. looks sweet when everything is on.

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
HighSierra That is a perfect example of different set-ups for different conditions!
You obviously have trees!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif I am in Phoenix Arizona (nuff said?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif)
I go to the Glamis Sand dunes and some desert running around here. I like to climb tall sand dunes and hill climbs in general. If you don't have lights up high, like a roll bar, on your approach you only see about 2 foot of vertical hill in front of you/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif normally at this time your right foot is trying to smash that skinny pedal through the floor, so seeing as much as you can ahead of you is pretty important.
(Besides when you are at a vertical angle the lights shooting up into the sky look wicked as hell/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif )

Shootest Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselfs..., well at least everyone else can get a good laugh.
Your story reminded me of how cool those little /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif smiley faces on the KC covers look with the lights on! (Of coarse you can do it for long, can you?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.