Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everbody, I have a 1986 720 king cab with a blown motor, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1991 hardbody 2wd with a KA24.
I have a few questions-
1- Will the KA24 fit my tranny and existing mounts?
2- If not can I use the tranny from the `91 and adjust the driveshaft to the transfer case?
3- The KA24 has all the fuel inection with it, would it be a nightmare to swap everything including the fuel tank onto my truck?
4- If not will my intake and exaust fit the KA24 block?

Thanks for checking out this post, if you have any suggestion for this swap, please post it as I am looking for as much info as possible.

Thanx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im in a simular situation. my cousin has a 92 2wd.i dont think your old transmission will match up because the starters i believe are mounted differently. using the tranny off the 91 would work as long as it isnt to much longer than the 720's . in which case you would have to move the transfer case back and lengthen and shorten the driveshafts accordingly. might want to make sure thouhgh that the 91 gears arent higher than the 720's. uisng the ka24's intake and exhaust and oteher parts should workjust fine, since the hrd bd had z24 blocks in them before and the bodies have stayed the sme since 86.5 to 97. and some 720's came with fuel injection. mounting the fuel tank shouldnt be that hard. just some welding of new mounts maybe would pose the only problem. the only thing that i would find hard would be the actual mounting of the egine,but probably the 91 mounts would work just fine since hrd bd did have z24s before, and the electrical incorporation of the ka24 into the 720 gauges that were meant for the z24, but through trial and error that shouldnt be to much trouble either. hope some of this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my 1985 4x4. I stopped by a local Nissan dealer to see if they could help, but all I could get from them was that the transmission part # for 83-86 is fs5w71b and 86.5 on was fs5w71c on 2wd trucks, the only difference is the b and c. I have left some messages at some transmission sites to see if they could help, but haven't heard back. While we're on the subject of swaps how about the 3.0 V6 Nissan, would that work with the 720 transmission and engine mounts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey 720, I had the same idea. The folks at Automotive Customizers say that its pretty involved. Still would be very interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts