Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, soon enough, i'm gonna be gettin myself my first 4by4. i've narrowed it down to a jeep cj-7 or a k5 blazer. for the blazer, well, to start, i already have one and a 350 to go in it BUT the body, interior, transfer case, engine and springs are all shot. it has no rear differential, but i have one for it, just needs a R&P. its gonna take a ton of work to restore it, but i already have one to start with. for the jeep, well let's face it, jeeps rule. nothing like a full convertible, with enough power (350) to drag a mustang on the street, and still sling mud for miles. one question about the jeep, how much will the stock axles take with a 350 and 35"s? no rockcrawling, just mud and woods. i wouldn't leave it like that, but how much would a rear dana 44 cost out of the scrap yard, and would i have to make and mods to it, or is it just a bolt in? sorry for the rambling, and thanks for any responses!

ps. i already posted this at a k5 board, and the response is quickly going to the blazer

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

· Registered
4,675 Posts
jeep is cooler for sure.

a 350 and 35 inch tires will break most of the stock stuff on a jeep

maybe you woul dbe better off with the blazer

or drop the 350 into a samuari..its all possible

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i though i might get a few more responses than this. thanks ozarkjeep. actually it's kind of disheartning when you ask jeep owners to put there rigs up against a different vehicle, and you get one response recommending the different vehicle. i'm sorry if i offend anyone, but I expected something different. within an hour i had 6 repsonses on the k5 board. i'd really like to get a jeep, and build it the right way, but if i don't have any support, than i might as well get the blazer. maybe i'll find another jeep board that could help me out a little more. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

· Registered
4,675 Posts
there is plenty of help available here

disheartening? becasue you want to over engine a CJ, and we recommended against it?

the Jeep is worlds better off road, not even open to debate.

but you cant just drop a bowtie in one and have it sirvive like it was engineered

do some research, then come back and ask again nicely..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

· Registered
1,165 Posts
The choice you are looking at is a personal one. It depends on what you need, how you plan on using it, and what you think is cool. Any 4-wheel drive can be made to be special. What do you want? Something you like, or something you were talked into building because of this board?

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's surely a personal thing, no matter what you do. I happen to own a Jeep, and I've had various Jeeps for the last 38 years. But, what is a Jeep, anyway? My current Jeep has a Chevy 350, TH-350, and the rear axle is also 'non-Jeep'. It came stock with a Saginaw steering in it. And, the T/case is from Dana. So... what's different about a Blazer? I've owned a couple of Blazers along the way, too. So, what do you want? One of the guys I off-road with, happens to have a Blazer - around 69-72 vintage. I can't see that it is much different than a Jeep... basically the same mechanicals as my Jeep has. His K5 has no top, no doors, no tail-gate, no rear seat, and it looks like it has been over the trail. About the only difference I can see, is strictly a visual thing. He might have a little more trouble on tighter trails, and on other trails the K5 has an advantage.
Are you 'in-to-lookin'-cool'? And, what's 'cool' to you? It's your choice.
Your Blazer sounds like a building-block. And, what is a Jeep? Sounds like another building-block, to me.

bobH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot for the responses. sorry for not making myself clear. what will this vehicle be used for? well it will be my daily driver (mainly to and from school) but also will see the dirt a lot (1 or more times a week) BobH, you say you have a different rear axle, so your front it the stock (dana 30)? how has it held up to the 350? i'm guessing you used an adapter betwee the tranny and case? i figure finding a np205 might be a better route if I use a gm trans, because spending 500 on an adapter, converting it to canadian pesos, and shipping and handling, i could almost buy a whole jeep for that! one final question, is there any transmission ever used in a cj that will bolt up to a 350? i could be wrong, but i'm sure i heard something about this before. thanks again for your time!

Keith
89/91 cr 125
89 Yamaha SRV

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Dana 44 axles will hold up to a 350 and 35" tires since your not going on the rocks, and even then they would hold up if your not slamming on the gas. They can be found in any junkyard I'd wager. The axles from any Jeep Grand Wagoneer will take a 350, but will need to be re-geared to run 35" tires. With v-8 power the could be 4.10, but 4.56 is better off-road. Do you know what transmission and transfercase you have as well?

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EACH IS HIS OWN, just remember to really have a real dependable 4 wd you virtually have to build it anyway for what you are looking for, rocks, mud, show, go , whatever, to see 3/4 of the world you could build, buy anything, butto actually see it all ONLY IN A JEEP, and remember, JEEPS ARE BUILT, NOT BOUGHT. THE END

BRADCO JEEPS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.