Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a K&N oil filter last weekend. Anyone else ever tried them? At $10.00 each I won,t be using them everytime. I have a Wix and an AC/Delco coming up next. My very unscientific test is going to be what the oil looks like at 3k. With the Fram filters I used to use it was pretty black, I figure if it looks cleaner it is cleaner. we'll see.
As for Mobile One, If anyone uses it did you see an increase in MPG with it, how often do you change it and what did you do whan you switched over to it. I have just under 40k and I'm thinking if I am ever going to switch it has to be soon.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: K&N oil filter Mobile 1 ?

Hey Brian<
I have run Mobil One since new in all of my trucks. The only comparison I can do is, get this, the lawn mower! Before M-1, it took 1 1/4 tanks of gas to cut the grass; after putting M-1 in, it takes 3/4 tank to cut the same area. Very unscientific, but a Briggs and Stratton is about as tough a test as you can do.
Dave

Dave
'79 Bronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using that filter since I got my engine. My engine manufacturer recommends it. They have a good reputation in the offroad racing field so that's enough for me. They are a bit pricey though. They do tend to keep my oil fairly clean up to the time I need to change it.

I've heard very bad things about fram filters. I used them on my old celica, and did notice that the oil did get dirtier quicker.

I also have used Mobile 1 since my engine was born. I change it like regular although they say you can go longer. I use it because it has a good reputation and that they have good qualities I look for in an oil. I don't really track my MPGs so I can't help you there. There isn't anything you should have to do to change over. I figure just drain the oil and re-fill. Mobile 1 is compatible with conventional oil, or so the package says. Eventually you will dilute all the old oil out of your system.

Metal Thrashing Mad /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
"I'm a madman at the wheel"
N.F.T.
33" BFG mts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Using a synthetic oil in an engine over 40-50k can cause alot of new leaks to appear. I thought it would be great to use on a couple of cars I had in the past, but it turned into a nightmare!! After checking around I discovered the synth strips all the oil deposits,and affects the seals that were broke in with
regular oil. The old gaskets and seals actually swell down causing leaks. I use Mobil 1 in my new car and love the extended change out time but keep it away from my h-bdy with 60 k. I'd research it a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Leaks? Swelling gaskets? Extended change out time? Stripping oil deposits? Exactly where are you checking around to come up with this? Just curious, no disrespect intended.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Brian, I have also wanted to try the AC Delco filter but in looking through their application guide I can find no match for the VG30i motor. Have you found one that would fit this application and if so do you have the product number?
Thanks,appreciate any info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

We own an '85 720 KC 4x4 that I bought new and an '88 4runner that we bought 3 months ago. I ran 5-50 Castrol Syntec in the 720 since it came out, I think it had about 75,000 miles when I switched to synthetic. Used 5-50 'cause of the huge temperature differences between the Arizona high country where I lived, and the low deserts. The 720 has never leaked at all.

Before buying the 4runner, we had one of those used car inspections done; the 22re motor was judged to be "tight" i.e. no leaks. I switched ot Valvoline Durablend (conventional/synthetic blend), and now about 1800 miles later we've got a leak. It looks like the rear main seal. Not bad (yet) but disconcerting, obviously. I plan to switch back to conventional oil, but this may not cure the leak if the synthetic has dissolved the deposits or messed up the seals.

So I'd have to agree that you are taking a chance switching to synthetic with an older motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

A bit off the subject, but here are some things I discovered during last oil/filter change on my '85 720. After reading several posts about how crappy Fram filters are I decided to switch, and put in a K & N. Huge pool of oil leaked all over the street as soon as I started the engine. Turns out the K & N filter listed as fitting the 720 actually does not- the gasket is in the wrong place. Also found out that K & N and Mobil 1 filters are exactly the same, jsut different labels. So, 720 owners, watch out for either of these filters until they correct the mistake. Wound up putting a Napa Gold filter in, which seems to work great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Again, no disrespect to anyone, but where are you getting your information that synthetics "dissolve" deposits and switching to synthetics causes older seals and gaskets to leak? Please infom me of your source. I realize personal experience comes into play, but that's not what I'm interested in. Any help is appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

thump-

I got my info from informal sources, i.e. discussions on the toyota page and several local mechanice I've talked to. I'm pretty sold on synthetic oil, so I chose not to be concerned. Our 4runner has a leak that it didn't have with conventional oil in it, so I'm starting to think there's something to this. But as my wife the statistician likes to point out, "correlation does not imply causation"; in other words, just because the leak started after we switched to synthetic doesn't prove that's what caused it. But I'm suspicious, because I've now heard the same thing from a variety of different sources, and the circumstantila evidnece points to the oil change as the cause.

A well controlled scientific study would be great to see, on the issues of (1) does synthetic oil offer advantages in mileage, engine wear, etc and (2) can switching to synthetic in older motors increase the chance of leaks. If you find such a thing, let us know!

P.S. Maybe this is a hint we should have bought a used Pathfinder instead?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have heard the same thing from word of mouth.. I'm a little suspicious about the whole issue. When you get up towards 50k miles on an engine and it develops a leak, I don't buy that changing to a synthetic is the cause. I've used Castrol Syntec in my truck since new so I can't prove to myself by swapping. I think I'll send an email to Mobil and Castrol and inquire about these issues and see what they have to say, if anything at all. All I know is that after 45k miles on my engine, the Syntec I drain from my pan after 3k is almost as clean as the new stuff in the bottle. That alone has sold me. And, I think 4runners are cool so don't sweat your decision. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

OK here is what I have...it will seem odd but I did check the application in the book at trash auto si I figure its OK. The AC/Delco filter number for my engine (VG30E...95 Pathfinder XE) is PF1232. I have a fram filter I'll never use and it is #ph3682 which is odd because it is not listed on the replacement "chart" in the AC/Delco box...other fram filters are listed but not the one the fram book says (And I have in fact used) to use. Also listed is Wix #50134 which (going on memory so don't trust me) is the correct Wix part number.
Go figure. At this point I have to say I have no problems with the Mobile one and plan on changing it at 3k then I'll think about changing the oil every 6k and changing the filter every 3k and topping up. This is in the nature of an experiment, I plan on looking at how long it takes for the oil to get dirty too. Its going to be AC/Delco vs Wix. Delco is cheaper but Wix has an xlnt reputation. We'll see.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

I guess my time working on aircraft in the Navy has distanced me from the general public(in reply to Thump) If you don't have a problem using synthetics thats great. Theres alot of factors that can also contribute to leaks not just an oil. The biggest thing is to keep up a regular maintainence schedule and goe with what works. Just like every mechanic has different views, so does the general public. For every scientific study you can find another that disputes it. No one has to take someone else's advice but it's nice to have a forum such as this to share ideas!!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifStraight outta Oregon, land of trees,ocean breeze, and a lotta mud!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I guess military life can do that to a person. After I received my degree in mechanical engineering to go along with my A&P license, I found myself a little cynical of other people's opinions. If it can't be nailed down and proven, it doesn't hold much meaning to me. In a way that's both good and bad&#8230;Good as a mechanical designer, bad as a human in this ever growing impersonal world. I do think you hit the nail on the head. There are many factors that could contribute to seal failure. So the question still is, you have two engines with the exact same amount of wear, one has used nothing but conventional oil, the other synthetic. If you start using synthetic in the conventional engine, would it start leaking? If changing to synthetic makes seals fail, then wouldn't the engine that used nothing but synthetic leak regardless? I guess that's the million dollar question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts