Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I know the board has gone over this quite a bit...I've done all the searches. I just wanted to hear your latest opinions and advice about air cleaner set ups. I have a new 351W in my 90 Bronco and a Flowmaster with JBA shorty headers. I have both the FIPK and the stock box/snorkel with a K&N in it, and have read about some pros and cons to both. Which do you guys recommend I run? Just curious as to your thoughts on this...again. Thanks for your time guys.

~MIke
P.S. I've also looked up and read the Project MPG article numerous times. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since you've already forked over the $200 for the FIPK I don't think it's an issue. Use it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have both too. But I use the stock box because the open element kept getting wet/dirty more frequently, and I was afraid that I would get water in my intake. Also as has been said that you acutally lose the benifit of the K & N because your sucking up all the hot engine air. If you want the performance of the open element, you'd have to use it on a dry day outside of the compartment. I though about doing this for the cruises I go on, but don't really want to cut any holes anywhere. I have the same set-up as you do. 90XLT with 5.8. I put an Accel 300+ Digital Ingnition System on Runs good although I have noticed a rougher idle from unplugging the digital system and just running the coil, but my MPG is around 14-18.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
well since you alread have the fipk, if you could run some big ol pvc to the front bumper or somehwere else that can give you a ram-air effect you'd probably make it worth your time, though a ram air intake on the stock box with a k&n in the box should work just as well. i'm about to start experimenting with just such a setup under my bumper to see if it helps the highway power at all, which is starting to feel like a 22re is under the hood.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I believe Havack

I have to (sniff,sniff) as they don't make the whole FIPK kit for the 86 EFI system. I did notice a big difference with the K&N element though. Thought about insulating my stock 86 box and tubes, like Steve and some others have, but most of the time heat is not an issue up here.

Sixlitre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Muddy - I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have some open grill space beside the radiator (near the airbox) that looks like a good spot to steal some air from. I wasn't quite sure how doing a ram air setup would work with the speed density system...most of my experience is with MAF stuff.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Muddy and Bigeddie, as far as the stock box goes, look at the rubber seal when you open the hood that sits right at the front of the engine compartment, just in front of where the air intake is. cut that. I keep the piece I cut out to insert back in when going on trails. Then, look at the hood. on the newer Broncos, I "expanded" the hole that was already there, and then drilled a bunch of small holes on the inner hood metal that faces directly at the air intake opening. You will probably need a pic of this, kinda hard to explain. Now, if you really want more "ram air effect", I had fashioned a "scoop" that pulled air from the top opening of the grille area that is meant to funnel air into/through the radiator.

The scoop idea below the bumper would mean having to dismantle it every time you want to go offroad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Juice - Do you have some pics that you could share with us. I am interested in still being able to go off road someday (without sucking in all kinds of crud); however a little more "umph" on the street wouldn't be a bad thing either.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Ram -Air

I did do it down by the bumper and seemed to give a little more umph but not good for water or mud. I want to put mine up where the hood meets the cowl so i can keep it for mud. Just havent figured out how to do it with little or no cutting.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Here is an idea guys. IMO the best way not to cut too much, nor have any air pickup low, while still getting some ram effect. Worthless offroad, slow going, I suspect, but not an inhibitor to cooling. Mainly meant for daily driving/highway. Here are a couple pics, scroll all the way to the bottom 2.....

http://2bigbroncosnorthwest.superfo...2=&s13=0&s14=&s15=&s16=&s17=&s18=&s19=13&s20=

sorry everyone, can't remember WD's instructs on how to make the link smaller. Have two computers, and tonight a bit too much to drink.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
has anybody ever investigated making a mini snorkel ram air thing similar to the hummers, that cuts into the firewall and comes up through the valence panel there by the wipers? it seems fairly roomy there, and if it only came up a couple inches it wouldn't obstruct view either. there is probably not room for a 5" pvc pipe but i bet a ~3"x8" intake similar to the stock one could fit there. i'll look at it tonight... real snorkles look goofy but they are the best on/off road intake design... i dont stay in hood deep water much any more though so a roof-high intake is really unneccessary.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Ram Air

Ever seen one of these???

The guy running the white Blazer this Saturday had one on.

I think they're rather pricey. However, he did mention something about making a mold from the one he's already got.

Course, looks like it'd only work on "carbed" Fords.
Hmmm, that's what I got.

Now getting the inlets high enough would be the challenge.

Oh, TheJuice:
I attached my "cheat-sheet" for your link situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Re: Ram Air

i just remembered my old intake idea that i never really drew up, but seems reasonable... cut a hole either in the hood near the windshield or in that valance panel and put a threaded pipe with o-ring from the airbox approx flush with the hood surface. then you could have a scoop about the size of the stock one that sits right at the hood level for street use, then you could unscrew it and put on a 2, 3, 10 foot tall snorkel intake when you lock in your hubs. whatcha think? ideally i could put it in the valance because i wouldnt need a flexible line for hood movement, but i think both ways would look ok, especially if the street intake was painted to match the hood
nobody can see up over my hood anyway

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

I'd think you'd pick up OK air right from the valance area.
Might not need the scoop.
Course, ya gotta keep the rain/snow out somehow.

I was sure wanting a cowl induction hood.
But, after my first trail run, I don't want anything else blocking my vision over the hood.

In fact, I know there's a company that makes a glass hood that's relieved in the middle for better visibility.
That's the ticket now.
It'd also help get more air to the valance.

Ever done any aerodynamic experiments on your hood to see how much air is coming in at the base of the windshield Muddy?
That'd be good to know before cutting things up.
I like the idea of a "convertible" snorkel.

·
Registered
920 Posts

I'm having trouble convincing myself to CUT anything . Once I get over that maybe,I'll get into the swing of things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

IM down in Australia at the moment and see a fair amount of these Air intakes on Land Cruisers. It comes out of the fender and up along the edge of the windshield to almost vehicle height. Look very good and must be factory or dealer installed item. Cant be too hard to get that plastic intake for fitting onto the bronco. Much better looking than a PVC pipe. Cant be more than a few hun??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ya, but the air intake at the top is pointed towards the front so it should still be good for some 'ram air' effect for the people are looking for that as well as the fjording ability

1 - 19 of 19 Posts