Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due for a new air filter, i was wondering,has anyone truly noticed any power increase using a k&n airfilter?
FILTER only i am talking about, not an entire intake system.
I would have to special order the element because i have the box on the valve cover/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif,86 was the last year for that system.I guess over time the $40 will payoff being they are washable, but its alot easier to toss them in the trash...
However if i will truly see an improvement,it will be worthwhile/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not sure if I got more power from the filter alone, but it is supposed to flow more air (??more power/better milage??), and its reusable. Buy it once I always say /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
My bro put just the filter on his 89 s10 blazer with TBI fuel injection, and it has shown phenomenal improvement- but he also put a flowmaster series 50 on also, so maybe the combo did it, no telling. Also his blazer has a 4.3 v6 in it. hope this helps.

"I will make the dirt fly"-Teddy Roosevelt

G

·
i did the drop in k&n in my 89 351w bronco. i like to think it has more power.but can;t tell for sure. mpg stayed the same 10-12 mpg.road a real dusty trail in big bear last wk. in the bronco & my son in a 4-runn.paper filter in 4-runn. was real dirty.k&n in bronco looked kleen.don't know if thats good or not!se ya

G

·
I got the K&N filtercharger, which was pretty pricey but worth it when I coupled it with the 3" single Dynomax exhaust. I don't know if you'll feel the difference with the filter alone but it sure is a necessary start to upgrading your powerplant.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wasn't really paying attention if I gained horses or not, I just wanted the filter. I love it. It could look like it's totally caked with dirt and still flow air. Also a slightly dirty K&N will actually filter better than a new or cleaned one.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have the K&N FIPK on my '90 only thing I don't like about it is it's an open air element. when I'm in the mud or stream it gets wet. I tried to rig something up but still didn't work. Also as steve has elightened me (which I never thought about till now) I'm pulling all the warm air from the engine in and thats defeating my purpose. You can definitly get the deep throaty sound from open air but I think the disadvantages out weigh the sound. As soon as I find a air-box for it I'm gonna put a K&N in it. I have no bad things to say about it. I did notice a little gain. but not like bolting on a blower!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I would say do it. It will put more air in your engine which means more power.

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: Cool Air

Steve (I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of those who don't), awesome point ... that's an old drag racing trick. Get your cool air from in front of the rad, then keep it cool to the engine. Pushing this concept to the extreme involves intercooling. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen for combustion. The engine even stays slightly cooler, because it doesn't have to work as hard to generate the same power with hot air. This could lead to a very technical discussion on thermodynamics. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
I swithced to a K&N and swiss-cheesed the air box with 2" holes from a donor Bronco. Cool air still comes from the front of the truck while it's getting more from the "holy" bottom. I kept the original box just in case the smog folks didn't care for the mod... My '88 loves it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.