Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to go off-topic, but just felt like rambling about a few interesting observations about Los Angeles and the surrounding area I saw on a recent business trip. It was my first time in LA...

5 and 6 lanes of traffic on the freeways that moves all day and night at 40 mph, when it moves. You could build the most radical Jeep, which could maybe only muster 40 mph on the highway and you'd be all set! You can't drive any faster than that out there anyway!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I left my hotel Wednesday morning out of Pomona at 4:30 AM going into LAX, ....and there was 5 lanes of traffic on route 10 ! ...at 4:30 AM !! I couldn't believe it!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Nothing rusts! I saw some really nice old pickup trucks, old cars, and they all look like there's no rust at all on anything! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

What's a hardtop??? Who needs it? It's warm all the time!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I don't see how you guys can live out there, though - man, I've never seen so much traffic in my life, and so much developed land. There's no space left, except for the sides of the mountains, and they're starting to build houses on those too! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Of course, I packed my shorts and sunglasses, and I get there and it's 50-something and raining. /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif. I called home to Massachusetts and it was 60-something and raining. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

The highways are all concrete slabs, and you bounce all over the place as you drive over the seams - made trying to read a map to navigate the 10, 405, etc, interesting. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Did see some nice Jeeps though - I guess it's only an hour and a half or something from the mountains? I dunno - took me over an hour to go from Pomona to the Airport. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. Saw some nice old cars and trucks too. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Had fun, but it's nice to be back home. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Too many people for me.

Small-town Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Hey Pete,

It's all in perspective. I go "home" to my dad's house (about 40 miles north of Boston), and I think... How can these people live in such a small city! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif How did I live there? (living here since 13, first visit 8)

I live about 15 minutes from the closest trail, not 1.5 hours. Plus, you were in Pomona (kinda scary... getting better, but still, YIKES, I try to avoid it.../wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif)

Not all of LA is like that. I once hit 55mph on the 405/101 interchange at 5:00pm on a FRIDAY night. I knew my life was complete, and could now die... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Hmmmm... 5 lanes at 4:30am is kinda nuts, but every drives 80mph until someone bounces off someone else, and then stops all 5 lanes so everyone behind them can spend an extra 2 hours/day in their commute... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Then you get to drive home in the rain... don't EVEN get me started on THAT!

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com

G

·
Hey Pete, I got the same impression when I went there. The company I work for has an office in Brea. My wife's aunt lives out towrads the desert about 2 hours from Brea.

Crossing the mountains was incredible! We crossed the San Gabriel mountains and it was awesome. We also did some off-roading (NOT, in a minivan) and discovered a whole bunch of marked trails.....they might have a lot of traffice but they have a lot more trails than we do on the East Coast.

When thing I did miss where the trees we have here on the East Coast...not enough tall trees there.

Did you see the cows grazing on the side of some of the major freeways?

It is kinda overwhelming.

One thing I really didn't like is the waste of food. The restaurants server way too much food. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat, but enough is enough. You'd think that with all that food you would see more overweight people, but I didn't. The babes were awesome!!! And friendly.

Just my experience...

[email protected]

G

·
Pete's description is just about right. I have lived about 15 minutes from the Pomona area most of my life. I have done quite a bit of business traveling the past couple of years and just about every place I have been to was better than living in that overcrowded smog pit. It's all about the money! Lots and Lots of money in So. Cal. That's basically the only reason why I still live there. Ya, it's nice to be able to go to the beach and snow skiing in the same week but I don't need that convenience all the time, maybe only on vacations. I looking to get out in the next couple of years. There are a lot of good jeepin trails though but there are tons of those across the country.

G

·
yea, you have to go to the desert(mojave) to get any decent off road stuff. so cal is just a big city and like all big cities, you have to get out to breathe. on any weekend you will see thousands of rigs heading out to the desert or beyond (high sierras) for a two day adventure and return late sun night to clock in and pound the pavement for another week.

the rat race is over and the rats won!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Well, Pete, you trod some hallowed ground. Hot rodding really got it's big push in the LA area after WWII. Guys who learned about aircraft engines, and aluminum castings began cranking out speed parts. Edelbrock got his start there, Eddie Eskederian(cams), Weiand, and several famous others. Street rods were mostly Ford flatheads. When some of the stuff would trickle over the hill into the valley and to our area, we teenage rodders would devour the magazines and catalogs for adapters to hook a '51 Chrysler Hemi to a Ford transmission, or six carb setups for our '48 Merc 24 stud flathead engines. I still remember when a '32 Ford coupe from the Valley Home Garage turned 100 Flat in the quarter mile running a three-carb potent flathead Ford V8. Well, does THAT date me or what??? Heh heh/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifIn those days, there were so many myths as to what made cars go fast that it was almost an accident when you succeeded. One thing I did know, however,....WEIGHT IS THE ENEMY OF PERFORMANCE....so I made sure that whoever I raced had three friends with him. Then I pulled my header plugs and ran open exhaust so he could not hear to shift(no tachs). THEN I blew the doors off his car in the 1/4 mile with my hot 55 Pontiac 347 w/4-spd Hydro./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Grafitti kid? Who me?/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif It's true....I was there with George Lucas and that bunch in '62, just waiting to be drafted./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will be out there on business Wednesday through Friday next week...have to drive from LAX to woodland hills area...was told about 40min drive. Never been out that way. Does 40 min sound about right??

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
Depends on what time of day. At noon...no problem. But anytime after 3pm until about 7.....then your looking at 1-2 hours. But then again, you might luck out.

FYI...I live in the South Bay area of LA, and I regularly hit 70-80 MPH on the surface streets.

You need to come back around May or June...by then all the rain will be gone and it will be sunny EVERY day. The only reason I put my soft top on my jeep is because of the rain...so, for the most part, I am topless 9 months out of the year.

For me, Big Bear is only 2 hours away, and some other trails not much futher. The only thing I wish we had was some good mud....but hey, you can't have it all.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
I'm a recent transplant to LA-LA land, and the crowds are suffocating. I left Oklahoma where I got more than my fair share of mud (sticky red clay that turns Boggers into slicks), and love the wheeling out here.
Within 2 hours of my house (also in the South Bay area) that is literally at the Pacific ocean, I can go to 3 different spots to wheel. There are almost 100 trails that close to my house. On any given weekend there is always a trail ride or event going on, and you can always find someone to go wheeling with.

G

·
I live in San Diego,Ca. and there are tons of trails within 3 hrs. of by home. The club I'm in just had our big annual event this weekend,
TDS Desert Safari with over 1000 vehicles. It's only about 125 miles from San Diego and has some great wheeling. There is also
Big Bear and Johnson Valley, the home of the infamous Hammers.

Gary

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Just spent a week in SoCal - Hey Jeepsternaut

Hey CJDave, yeah, I was pretty stoked to be out there with the hot-rod history of California and all. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Actually, the hotel I stayed at was right at the Fairplex in Pomona, and it was RIGHT NEXT to the NHRA Motorsports Museum! I managed to scam some free time /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif on my last day out there, Tuesday, and I was all excited to go see that museum, took my camera, walked across the street to the museum..... only to find the hours of the place: Wedensday to Sunday. /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

I was pretty bummed..
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

Gary,
TDS was great once again!! George led the Sunday red run and it was a lot of fun. Our club ( Rim of the World) had a killer night run on Friday and we got all kinds of twisted on Saturday. We were fairly damage free with only one lost bead, some minor body damage and a broken steering knuckle that we were able to get welded and back in less than 2 hours.
So. Cal. has some great places to wheel. I live in the mountains near San Bernadino and we have some great Rock Crawling right out my back door. Panamint Valley, Rubicon, Los Coyotes, Johnson Valley... the list is huge. I have lived in every region of the country and none has such diversity in the trail selection. Desert, mud ( yes there is mud up north), boulders the size of Volkswagons, and trails through groves of towering pines. California has great wheeling.

Axlesupagain
98TJ (Incoming!) 35's 4.56 detroits grenade hood ornament
and some new fender mods from my stuffed tires this weekend
YEAH BABY!!

G

·

Axlesupagain, glad you had a good time at Safari. I heard there were some roll overs, but nobody got hurt to my knowedge.
One of these days I hope to meet you and your fellow club members.

Gary

·
Registered
631 Posts

Hey FNG, you didn't like that Oklahoma Mud??? Whereabouts were ya out of? I love it here, the trails at CLAYton are aptly named though. Couldn't even imagine what it's like in L.A. I think Houston is stifiling big. Probably like a another world, hafta drive out there sometime though when I get the Blaze running just to see what all the hoopla is about!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

LakeTex
Durant, OK
'79 Blazer in progress

G

·

LakeTex- I lived in Okie City for 6 years. Did the Clayton thing, Little Sahara State park (sand dunes for those who don't know), and played in the rivers and lakes.
LA is definately like a different planet by comparison...
I was told that there are 12 million people living here /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif and I can drive for 2 hours north or east and still be in town. Now that's nuts /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.