Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I checked the e-mail and had a note from "john" to open an attachment labeled "Pretty Park" .It is a VICIOUS virus, if you see it just hit delete, otherwise your're toast./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
As a general rule i don't open ANY file attachments in Email, Unless it's from someone I have contacted for information[ Usually Dave or Team Rush]
maybe someday I'll be able to use this compooter well enough that i can figger out how to send that s**t myself

Gorgeous George
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifMy other car is a Frieghtliner/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Ditto on the attachments./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
This is a perfect example of an off-topic thread that belongs right here on this forum.

Lots of us are wrench swingers, not computer whizzes, but all of us lose out when another forum member's machine goes down because of a virus.

I have Norton Anti-Virus and check any files before I open them. Even files from good friends, guys I trust to cover my back in hard places. Some viruses will get on your machine and use your email address book to send themselves out.

If you have any software savvy at all, you should consider an anti-virus program; there are a number available.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Yeah, I had a guy come in and install Norton. Then I found out that it should have been MacAfee or whatever the name was. I'm like you, I don't trust anything that isn't a confirmed sender. If this computer gets infected I have to PAY to have it fixed, I can't really do it myself./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
I've heard about asorted viruses going around but am totally computer illiterate. I'm sorry to ramble on this non-jeep topic but since it was brought up I am wondering about any "downloadable" anti viruses that can be installed. You all seem alot more down to earth then the salesman who speak in a totally different language then me. Thanks! Just don't need this thing to fry when I might need some important info for my jeep.

G

·
There are anti-virus softwares that you can download, but they aren't any good. You can find them simply by searching for them via a search engine. The good ones are McAfee and Norton. Those are the 2 big dogs on the block. Once you buy the software, you can download updates off the internet which is useful because new viruses are released every day.

· Registered
7,901 Posts
I got the Pretty Park virus as well. I got it in the form of an attachment, from some good freinds of ours. Apparently this virus goes to your e-mail addresses, copies itself, and then e-mail itself to everyone in your address book. I was able to catch it in time, and there is a way to delete it at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/prettypark.worm.html and
http://www.getvirushelp.com/PrettyPark/. It's out there folks, be sure to watch for it like CJDave said.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

· Registered
6,784 Posts
I am some what computer literate.
(My network guy calls me a "power user", what ever THAT is....)
--------------------------------

NEVER OPEN ANYTHING FROM ANYONE YOU DON'T KNOW !!!

--------------------------------
It's better to delete it and be safe.
If you get something from someone YOU DO KNOW, e-mail them back and confirm they sent you something before you open it...
(I use the virus scanner on EVERYTHING before I open it...)
---------------------------------

We have beat a few of these viruses by using a mail program that it can't invade.
Even if we get it, it can't be passed on because our address book isn't where it will look for it. (Foxmail)

Has anyone ever heard of a virus passed through a .jpg file before....
.JPG's are all I send out unless it's something I have virus scanned at least three times...
( .jpg picture files to the guys on the BBS anyway...)

We run Norton, McAfee and one my network guy wrote. Everything gets it three times before it gets in here...
It didn't always used to be that way...
Chernobyl cost us over $5,000...
Got our network server, and all of our mother boards with flash bios.
That was a real pain in the A$$!

It might be a good idea to mention if you have Norton 5.0 or better, you can download all the new virus definitions from Norton for free.
NoNags.com has them also.
It's real easy to do, and it updates your systems, including the latest worms, like Pretty Park...

Just my $0.02 worth...
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

G

·
Dave, you don't have to pay to get your PC fixed, I will gladly fix it for you in exchange for some Jeep advice.

If you need the McAfee anti-virus program let me know and I'll send it to you. I can also give you our corporate license so that you can download the updates. Our company has a 1000 user license (which we paid 50 grand for) but we currently only have 800 employees.

Let me know if you're interested.

[email protected]

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I'm very interested, but I have to tell you that I'm pretty dumb about compooters and may need an extraordinary amount of coaching, as in step-by-step. But, yeah, John.....that would be great to have that. I'm in the office all day tomorrrow. I'll check on e-mail about 9 AM your time./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.