Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Sunday when Jeepchick and I were on our way home from a semi-R&R weekend, we saw a 3/4T Chev FWD sitting by the road for sale. We have been looking for a good "farm truck" and to replace our 2WD 3/4T GMC. I looked at it and then checked with TEX about whether is was a good year(1980), and it turned out to be THEE BEST year, so we bought it. When the entire body is rusted completely away, we willstill have a fresh Goodwrench 350 SB Chev....a 12" Borg & Beck clutch....an SM465 4-Spd...a 205 Transfer case....and two MEGA axles to install in a future Jeep. We can part out this truck right now for more than we paid, and the thing is in great shape./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Once again...somebody took off the clutch fan and put a......../wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif well, you get the idea. Anybody want TWO Flexajoke fans?? Free to a good, but uninformed home/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Oh, and one more thing...anybody want some white spoke wide wheels...eight hole...with worn tires? We got an extra set. The truck has new 23585R16's ON it...the white spokers were in the back. We need four Jeep pattern wheels in 16" tubeless./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW TRUCK, DAVE!!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

PS Don't forget to drill a hole in the thermostat and ground the chassis real good!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Heh heh......nothin' gits by you, Jim./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifHey....maybe I can put a second lever on this 205 transfer case, and have a two-lever case like we had in the "old" days? Jeepchick has a great fear of having to make a lot of gearing decisions, so she likes automatics, but this is for towing so it hasta be direct drive with regular gears just like our GMC was. Or...better yet, I'll put a "doubler" ahead of the transfer case, and a "splitter" ahead of the main box and have a veritable FOREST of levers. My floor mat will look like a sieve/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Boy! Talk about surprised....that truck has a single-piece rear driveline with a slip yolk into the transfer case/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Does THAT ever have to go by-by!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
'hole-in-the-thermostat'...... reminds me, been doing the 'hole', for many years... but, also, I've been adding the small 'steam-bleeder-lines', at the rear of the intake manifold, fed up to the thermostat area, in my case, above (after) the thermostat. These little details sure seem to help, on these little 350's, when they are asked to work too hard.
After your '79-experience', I hope you bought this one smog-legal. (just kidding) Good luck.

bobH

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif This baby was JUST smogged....has a brandy-new air pump, and is rated 8600 so it has no catatonic conslerter. WHAT A RELIEF!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif You know, BKNS.....LOTS of big industrial engines have steam/air bleed-off lines....lots and lots./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Dave while you're adding shifters.......2 speed rear axle.
Just to make her ask what the knob/button on the shifter is for/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

BTW had a jeepchick come in today for a spare for her tj (and I was nice enough to sell her a cover for it in spice {brand new in the bag Jeep}/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif)
Anyway nice lookin lady , and I asked her if she was going to keep the tj. I figured the parts are kinda hard to find and she drove 65 miles to get here so I would turn her on to quadratec and 4wdhw cataloges, and she said she was just putting this stuff on so she could sell it. I was dissapointed then she said where are the adresses for them cause she was ordering a new one. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
End of story........I gave her two of mine./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif One of our neighbors had a '52 F-7 Ford (That had the 332 Lincoln in it.)with a five-speed main box, a three speed brownie, and a two speed axle. He had NO IDEA what the actual gear progression was. Lessee.....brownie under....main to fourth....axle up...er...no, that's brownie direct, axle down..../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifsee what I mean?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif What was that.............
To hit 3rd you had to upshift trans , drop the o/d , and flip the 2 sp. all while trying to drink a cup of coffee? I may have gray but Damn I'm glad I'm a "kid"./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif My CJ is as hard as I want to make it ./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Did they hang the man...........?
He didn't build a vehicle. Whit that much work to put up with it sounds like he built a wife./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
(sorry to all married jeepchics/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif just translate to husbands)

Damn my wife wouldn't take her hands off my neck till I typed that./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I was just wondering , Dave. Are you going to replace that part time NP 205 with a full time case, perhaps a NV 242? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Nope......this truck will stay that way....with the old-fashioned gear drive. Since "The Farm" is mostly flat ground, we won't have to be concerned about going straight on the turns, especially in a LWB frame like that. We were looking for a knock-down-drag-out beefy truck, and gear drive is the only way to do that job. We'll probably take it to Iowa next summer('01) and leave it there. We'll be going there for good the NEXT summer('02).....it will be good-by to the **** state/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts