Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 samurai with a spring over. I was just wondering if any one runs a retread tire and what they think about it. Also what is the largest tire i can run on the stock wheel without changing anything else.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
One of the spares on a sammy I just picked up was a 31x10.5 on a stock rim... it fits okay but I wouldn't want to try to drive with it. I think it would hit the spring way before the lock/stop. I have a set of 32x11.5 and 31x10.5 on 15x8 with 3+ inches of backspacing (the rims are different) and they do hit the springs but much later so I can deal with it.

Oh an the 31x10.5's are retreaded tires. I haven't used them though. There are a few guys on this board that do use them with good results.

I'd say pick up a set aftermarket cheap steelies when you get your tires... you're better off with them over stocks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Because truck tires are so expensive big rigs run re-treads any where they have dulies. They always run new on the front. When driving down the highway have you ever noticed the "dead alligators" the complete tire tread in the road or off to the side. That's what happens to re-treads when they get hot, the tread seperates from the tire.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I wouldn't run retreads on a daily driver, there are cheap tires out there that would be safer on the road in the long run.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well i'm one who has gone against logic and has put some retreads on my daily driver samurai. got some 235/75/15 not sure what the biggest you can go on a stock rim. haven't made it to do any real wheel'n in the 2 months i've had them though i have played around a little and they did great there. I can let you know after next weekend if there are any problems on the trail. only put 1000 miles on so couldn't tell you about treadwear. So I'm happy with them so far

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally wouldn't recomend retreads unless the price is right. In my line of work i see alot of retreads most are junk. There is two areas of concern with retreads first is the bead i would say least 60% of retreads have a damaged bead which isn't good (cuts or tears which will cause leaks) and the second concern the cap to casing bond ie how well the tire stays togather. I personally have used hitech retreads in the past they were decent retread with exception on the bead being chewed up. Damage to the bead is from improper (dis)mounting of tires. As a side note in minnesota it is legal for a semi to run a retead on the steer axle, which is scary! Hope this helps

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi tech has a good product. But there supply demand abilities are a little lacking. I tried to get a set of 33's from them once and they were waiting for tires to come in that they could retread. Said it could be 6 mos. I run a mastercraft brand 33 it is an offbrand made by cooper tire. They are great and only cost a little more than the retreads. Look around for a little more money you can get a new tire w/ better tread pattern and so forth.
F_T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the DOT comment, federal gov sets the standards and states can add their own to that, California is the worst state for being the most strict just ask any truckers. After review my Minnesota DOT inspectors book it confirmed that is legal to run a recap on a steerable axle! Makes you wonder who makes they great laws!

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have the high tec retread on my sami, 235/75 15 muds. yeah i would recommend em. i do agree that if you can get new for 10 bucks more a tire than yeah go for it, but i dont think you can beat the $35 a tire (at least thats what they used to be) for MTs
my .02

good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.