Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Junk \'99 TJ Dana 44

I put a 4" SkyJacker Kit on my brother's (stock) 6-cylinder, '99 TJ two weeks ago and we put 33" tires under it (BFGs). It has a specially ordered (option) Dana 44 rear-end w/ a limited slip and 3.73:1 gears (also stock). To make a long story short, he hasn't even 'wheeled it yet, and the diff went out on it! What's up with that? Since when does a 6-cylinder with 33s generate enough power to take out a Dana 44??? Anyone else heard of this? Of course, the dealer says it's our rpoblem and that the larger tire caused it...

I know about the Magnusson-Moss Act, but I don't know what ground we have to stand on here. Does anyone know of any Service Bulletins on these? Got any ideas for recourse?

Thanks!

'98 Ram V10 Quad Cab
Headers, shift kit, dual exhaust, K&N, 33" BFG M/Ts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Junk \'99 TJ Dana 44

throw some stock tires on it and take it to the dealer again, might be worth it to put the stock springs back in too, just make sure different people look at the jeep the second time

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A Dana 44 can reliably handle 32" tires with stock I6 engine. Anything more than that, you're asking for trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

definately throw the stock tires back on! and bring it to the dealership! I know of a man who had a new dodge ram who put gears in the back but not in the front, he figured he would be ok if he just did not put it in 4wd needles to say 5 miles latter he dropped the drive shaft and put the transfer case in 3rds, he had aftermarket lift tires drive shaft extremly heavy duty, he than got the truck to his house put the matching gears in the front, put stock tires left the lift and brought it to the dealer ship with no drive shaft "it was in the middle of the highway" and than he ended up with a brand new t/c covered under warrenty! luck him it broke cause of being impatient!

· Registered
4,438 Posts

What went out on it?
A dana 44 can handel 33" tires with little or no problems. Although lower gears would make it easier on the whole drive train.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ged.....huh!!! 32's and a I-6??? I don't know about that one. A D44(in my opinion) can handle 33's and a V8 RELIABLY....and I run 35's and a V8 with D44's front and rear, no problems here. Also seen plenty of D44's with 38" swampers on them....give the D44 a little respect. This sounds like a case of bad luck. I would also put the stock tires back on and go to a different dealer, OR call the suspension company that made the lift and ask them what your options are because chances are that they have dealt with something like this before.

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That doesn't make any sense. I've got a 98 TJ with the Dana 35 rear, 4" lift and 33" BFG muds. I wheel it every month, and pretty hard, nothing's broken yet, although I do only have a 4 cyl. engine...The only problem I've heard about axles with new Jeeps is the Cherokee's rear axle making funny noises...

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah - I figured it was a fluke thing. The dealer said the diff internals were gone - they also insisted it was a Detroit Locker (even though we all know it's a trac-lock). Guess what they said the parts cost would be? $2K!!! Yup, that's thousand folks!

Needless to say, I will be taking it to an independant - along with the $300 NEW differential. Dealers just kill me sometimes... Guess my family's done spending at that one!

Oh - for those of you that are in SW Michigan - it was a Ziegler (name/owner) dealership. They also refused to repaint the rusting bumper on my '96 Dodge (when it had $10k miles on it). Of course, I don't buy from there - I give all my business to a GOOD dealer about an hour away from whee I live (Wayland Chrysler).

'98 Ram V10 Quad Cab
Headers, shift kit, dual exhaust, K&N, 33" BFG M/Ts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I wheeled with a guy who has a TJ with rear D44 and 33" tires just last week. At the end of a very moderate trail he noticed his rear D44 leaking. Turns out he blew up the spider gears in the Trac-lock. He said the dealer will cover this under warranty this time. But he also said that it might not be covered next time. I don't know if the dealer told him this or this was just an impression he got. In any case, here's another case of a TJ D44 exploding. I'm not making a judgement here - this is just a data point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I am running a 76 dana 44 in the back of my CJ-7 with a worked 304 in front of it. I do not baby this thing. I have had no problem at all with this rear. The Dana 44's are all the same to the beat of my knowlege. I do know they all use the same bearings.

More power is never enough

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I have a 98TJ with a 4.0 in it. Borla header, jacobs ignition, turbo city air tube with K&N, Jet stage 2 power module, d44 rear and d30 front. 4.56 and detroits in both ends 5.25" suspension and 1" body lift. 35x12.50x15 bfg's on 10" wheels and I hit the rocks almost every weekend for over 2 years. Never so much as a pinion seal leak. The 44 is a strong axle and for almost anything other than EXTREME horsepower it is very reliable. I have had 44's in my broncos and cj's for years and have never had problems with them. Sounds like you got a bad trak-lok. Happens quite regularly. Sometime back someone posted a link to a site that lists service bulletins and recalls on everything. Anyone remember that link? Anyhow, switch the tires and off to a different dealer. Good luck.

Axlesupagain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think that we are all missing what might really be wrong here. We all know that Dana 44's are strong enough and that they have been used for years so we can put that idea out of our minds. What really seems to be the problem after reading all of this is that the trac-lock is just too weak for the power and axle strength. Get rid of the trac-lock and you might not see the same problem again. What does anyone think of this idea.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Nonsense. Insist that they fix this. The Magnussen act states that the dealer/manufacturer has to prove that your modification caused the failure. They wont win this one.

* There are numerous dealers who special outfit TJ's with 33" tires and then sell them.

I have 33's and the same axle/gears on my TJ and I wheel it pretty hard... no problems.

You can change tires and take it to another dealer if this one continues to be a-holes. Also, tell them you belong to the largest Jeep club in your state and you will let everyone know what type of service you have recieved if they dont start doing the right thing.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.