Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The joint at the bottom of the steering shaft on my 84 CJ7 seems to be loose and the boot has torn again. Is there any way to replace this joint with another kind of joint like a u - joint on the borgeson shafts? Or can I replace it with another factory joint? I'm too cheap to buy the complete borgeson shaft as I feel it's only the bottomthat's causing me a problem right now. How does the borgeson shaft make up for changes in lenght of the shaft as the body moves on it's mounts? The factory joint seems to have a small amount of in and out play built into it's design.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

·
Registered
646 Posts
The joint itself is available but you have to weld it on to your existing shaft. You also have to make sure that you weld it on straight or it could bind.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not sure whereyou can get them, I have seen them hanging up in the local 4x4shop. I'm going there to price some swampers today so I'll try and find out where he gets them.

G

·
If I remeber correctly the joint from borgeson alone costs over $60. I was going to get a spare until I decided which steering box to use.

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.