Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jeepskate!

First, congrats on the new toy.

Second, I saw you say something in one of your posts about maybe going with a coil front suspesion on the CJ-8. I'm half-way thru doing this on my CJ-7, using 1979 Bronco parts. What's your current plans on doing this?

--C.J. Ford

C.J. Ford
'84 Bronco - Daily driver
'95 Thunderbird - "other vehicle"
'85 CJ-7 - "project"

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No real plans, just one of those ideas kicking around in my head a bit like stretching the wheelbase that I haven't really gotten serious about investigating yet. If I go DIY I'd probably use lifted Cherokee parts, otherwise I'd go with a kit from Avalanche Engineering. My main thing right now is to prep the frame and transfer the drivetrain and axles over on the suspension that's already on it and get it running and into the garage before it snows. From there I'll decide on the suspension before I do the bodywork. I'd like to see what you're doing with your setup. I had thought about using Bronco parts, but was concerned with articulation limitations of the radius arms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jeepskate!

The articulation you get is somewhat dependent upon what year/model you got the arms from. The 1979 Bronco is full sized, and the arms are 32" long (which is 10" longer than their counterparts on my 1984 TTB'd Bronco). It takes a bit of fabbing on the frame, but the mounting brackets for the arms go behind the body mounts for the front corners of the Jeep's body tub by about four inches. This has actually allowed me to move the front axle position forward by 2" for a bit more wheelbase on my CJ-7, plus balance the weight of the rig out a little better. As soon as I get the rest of the pictures scanned in, I'll be putting up a web page showing the conversion. (What's slowing me down on the Jeep work is the blasted heat. We're supposed to hit 90 today.) Lemme know if you'd like me to mail the (long) text and the sketches that I've got to you.

Also, a friend of mine is looking at using the Ford front suspension on the back of his YJ, which currently suffers from the SOA spring-wrap problem.

--C.J. Ford

C.J. Ford
'85 CJ-7 - "project"

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize there was a big difference in the arms...I had an '84 Bronco with the TTB and those arms are what I always thought of (actually saw a CJ in a magazine a few years back with the complete TTB setup under it). Heat slowing you down? Heck, send some of that up here (actually it's supposed to hit the mid 70's today), I'm racing to beat the first snowfall :) Please do e-mail that info to me, I'm very interested and will have plenty of time this winter to get my suspension just the way I want it. Deja vu...is that buddy of your's on Jeep-L or SWB? Just saw someone talking about that rear conversion within the last couple of days. How are you handling the mounts for the coil springs and attaching the arms to the axle tubes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jeepskate!

The stuff is on its way. I've included my sketches of the frame work I did.

C.J. Ford
'85 CJ-7 - "project"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.