Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning on driveing my 97 jeep wrangler with a 4.0 and a 5 speed from seattle washington to charleston south carolina. my question is that this thing has about 150,000 miles on it. do you think i will make it. i havent had many problems with it since i bought it. i am planning on changing the oil, the serpentine belt. do you think i will have any problems and what do you estimate my total gas price will be for this one way trip? plus what do you think i should bring with me for any emergency i may encounter.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Replace,
Belts, hoses (radiator & heater), hose clamps, fuel lines and fuel filter.
Reuse nothing. After 150K it's time for new!!!

Keep the old hose clamps and belt for 'Limp In' spares.
An extra 'Universal' radiator hose wouldn't hurt anything...

Eyeball that battery with particular suspicion!
Heat kills more batteries than cold, and it's damn hot around here!
---------------------------

Check, Everything!
Especally your brakes, you have two mountian ranges to cross at highway speeds.

Wheel bearings must be checked!
Otherwise you may get nearly to Attica and a wheel bearing goes out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Check all your lights.
Out of state plates and a light out will equal a Trooper demanding your papers along side the road and a shake down.

Check and make sure all your paperwork is up to date and you have a proof of insurance card.
Some of the states you will be passing through have no sense of humor at all, and if you can't produce your papers for the SS, Er, I mean trooper you WILL get a ticket with no questions asked...
----------------------------

Change,
Oil, Filter, trans fluid, both diffs and grease the chassis & 'U' joints.
Don't forget to give the 'U' joints the 'Shake Test'.
replace if nessary.

Flush and fill the cooling system with 50/50 mix.

Get new wiper blades and make sure the washer tank is full.

Use 15w40 oil for your trip. That will hold up better and give better protection in excessive heat.
Don't use economy oil or cheap oil, buy a brand name oil and filter.
------------------------

Take along an extra gallon of oil,
a gallon of antifreeze 50/50 mix,
Jack, lug wrench, spare tire,
jumper cables,
first aid kit,
some drinking water (emergency type, so stay out of it!:eek: )
Cell phone will be your best friend in the event of a problem.
CB Radio wouldn't hurt either...

Don't forget Duct Tape!
"I have duct tape, and I'm not afrade to use it!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif"

MUSIC! that is one LONG drive and the road noise will drive you nuts! Take some music that gets your blood pumping so when you get tired, it gets you going.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Lay out your approximate route. Then go to Frapper.com and see who the board members are along your route. Solicit contact information from anyone along the way. If you should have a problem - unlikely if you follow JYG's advice - anybody on the board will be glad to help you out.

My second piece of advice is to avoid the interstates where ever possible. The secondary roads will be a lot more interesting and scenic, besides being more suited to the speeds an old Jeep likes to go.

Next, take along a digital camera and laptop if you can. You can post pictures and updates as you go.

How long are you planning to take? It's something I've thought about many times. It should be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
In 2000 a friend and I drove his 94 YJ 19,000 miles around the country for 4-1/2 months, taking the summer to see the country. From Massachusetts, south to Key West, west to Cali at San Luis Obispo, north to Washington, and west back to Massachusetts. Saw every National Park - from Gettysburg, the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Death Valley, etc., Jeeped across Imogene pass between Ouray and Telluride, and drank everywhere from Key West, to New Orleans, to Sturgis. It was a great time, and the trip of a lifetime. The Jeep did fabulously. It hit 100,000 miles on that trip.

Follow the advice you've been given. And Get AAA. The route books will be valuable, and you'll have the additional piece of mind. And take a friend if you can. Enjoy the trip.

The only rule -- if you think something on the jeep isn't right before you leave, don't pretend it's ok! Fix it.

Good luck!!
Pete

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Sign me up!
Between Board members and frends/family you should be covered about 8 miles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I live in south-western Indiana and I have a car trailer just in case you have a problem...
If you are interested, let me know on PM and I'll throw you a 'Just In Case' phone number...

OH, I almost forgot!
With 150K on the clock, don't forget to check the belt tensioner pully! (also called an 'Idler' pully)
They have a miserable track record, cheap to replace NOW, while the belt is already off being changed, but might be a PITA on the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you think it will make it to the next oil change then you ought to assume it will make it across country... especially since highway driving imposes the least amount of stress on a vehicle.
It is always a good idea to carry some replacements parts along like a spare belt, oil, coolant, etc. and a tool kit... that sort of goes for everyday driving as well.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Have you thought about your stuff? Have a way to securely lock it in the Jeep? Or planning on lugging it into the hotels?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i will replace the belts,hoses and fluids. i am also going to get a set of five new rims and tires off an 05 tj that a buddy of mine replaced for 31's. 400 bucks for rims and new tires is not a bad deal. i am going down there to live with my grandparents and go to school. what do you think it will cost me for gas? i estimated about 500 bucks for gas. as far as storing my stuff i am gonna have the hard top on so no-one will mess with my clothes and stuff. thanks for all of the input guys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would push for a more reasonable estimate of about 700 in gas, This will give you some more comfortable breathing space in case of summer construction detours.

One thing I DIDN'T see you put up is whether or not you have a roadside assistance plan set up... As much as we all love to be self reliant, you ain't pushin' it all the way back if you chunk an axle in the middle of the night. Call AAA, get some short term coverage, Peace of mind is cheap nowadays.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
At Least one pair of Clean underwear, remember, you can always turn them inside out for extra Milage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
At Least one pair of Clean underwear, remember, you can always turn them inside out for extra Milage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What did your mother tell you about clean underwear? Remember... always, ALWAYS wear clean underwear... you never know, you might be hit by a bus! Of course that really meant that she didn't want your poor hygiene habits to reflect on her!

I'd recommend reading THIS thread...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Can't find the local thread...but I have this memory of a few months ago, Eric lifted the Postal, put on 35's or so...took it to URE to test it out some. At one easy obstical he was playing around and rolled it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif have not heard if it's back on the road again or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would add a basic tool set....wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers...etc...

Make sure you take a dark rug or something to drape over your stuff in the back...the only thing the hard top does is cause them to make a little noise when they break in....the best way to prevent a break in is to not show off what you have.

Chanes are, it should make the 3000 mile trip just fine...just don't abuse her and listen for anything that sounds wrong....fwy driving is about as easy as you can get on the hardware...

Expect to take at least 6 days at a min to get there....14 if you plan on stoping anywhere....this is a great time to see some of those place you only see on TV....no reason you have to take the shortest route....

You might consider seeing if you can find someone who also wants to go that way....they can pay half the gas......

I can't wait until my little baby girl is old enough for road trips....love em.....

Good luck and be safe...

BTW, the idea of finding board members along the way is a good one....if you swing down through LA, you can spend a night at my place.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
you never know, you might be hit by a bus!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I see a bus headed right at me, I really doubt that underwear would be clean for too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Expect to take at least 6 days at a min to get there....

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Mapquest shows 44.5 hours...How many weeks do you work 44.5 hours...

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Can't find the local thread...but I have this memory of a few months ago, Eric lifted the Postal, put on 35's or so...took it to URE to test it out some. At one easy obstical he was playing around and rolled it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif have not heard if it's back on the road again or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports/postalcj8/index.asp

·
Registered
484 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Expect to take at least 6 days at a min to get there....

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Mapquest shows 44.5 hours...How many weeks do you work 44.5 hours...

Enjoy the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

every week!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif heck, a 44.5 hr workweek feels like a vacation to me...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

every week!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif heck, a 44.5 hr workweek feels like a vacation to me.....:p

[/ QUOTE ]

NC/NH different work habit I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, the idea of finding board members along the way is a good one....if you swing down through LA, you can spend a night at my place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto for the extreme SE corner of South Dakota. We have a spare bedroom always made up for Jeepers and bikers!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts