Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one I don't think we've covered:

Like y'all I have spent a lot of money and a lot more time on my Jeep. But apparently un-like you guys, I live in an apartment complex. I was wondering how you guys keep your baby at home. Out of stranger's hands. I wasn't concerned with the radio and small stuff like that. I'm talking about the WHOLE thing. I was more interested in some hidden switch to ground out the ignition. I would like any and all suggestions....

......or do I just go sleepless in my sniper tower?

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I too am in an appartment complex, will be out soon though!

There was a discussion on the GM truck/suv bbs about this a few weeks ago. I mentioned the same as you. Just put a switch inline with the power to your coil. You could put a switch inline with the ign switch so that you'd have to have both switches closed, but that is still easy to "hotwire". It would take 'em a little while to figure out the coil power switch, but eventually, they'll get it!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif When yew boahs is ready t' quit foolin' 'round with stuff that ever body knows how t' defeat, jus let me know n' I'll show ya how t' keep yer Jeep close by where ya parked it. Not EXACTLY where ya parked it, but real close./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
On my ex girlfriend's CJ we always pulled the wire coming from the ignition box and put it in my pocket, although this looks mighty suspicious in a parking lot, it certainly worked in the driveway. What about those Grant removable steering wheels? How easy are those to by-pass?

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teach on preacher Dave! I have no problem admitting I don't know everything. Any time you want to shed a little light on me........ LET IT SHINE!!

....... never been scart to lurn.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

G

·
At Sears, I heard that they have a new security battery by Diehard. When you want to secure your car, you can disable the battery by pressing a button that they give you. I think this is alright. I do not know if the thieves will know why the jeep will not start. I might get this security battery later when my old battery no longer works.

G

·
What about a boat anchor? Not only will it deter people for fear that you're insane, but...well okay, so I only got the sanity issue there...alright Dave, teach us the ways

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Anyone who wants this info can e-mail me at my regular office e-mail and I can send it via word-export, I have it in my computer. I will not send it to anyone who isn't "known" to this board. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
I just wrap a 1/2" thick chain around the steering wheel then around the front post of the roll bar and put a shrouded pad lock on it. I know its not the best, but hey it will slow them down a little.

Lunatic
From the land time forgot Home Page

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I just rigged up a place in the floorboard to connect a short leash, and let my Pitbull ride with me..

its worked so far.

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!

G

·
1st tip. If you have something that you don't want stolen from your Jeep, don't leave it in your Jeep. 2nd. Don't waste money on an alarm. Just the wire to your coil and some fuses from the box and stick them in your pocket. On newer rigs you can do what expensive security systems do by opening the hood and pulling the fuel pump and starter relays. That's what I do and they are small enough to drop in your pocket and put back in in about 30 seconds when it is time to go.

Axlesupagain
98TJ
96XJ

G

·
As a follow up to my last post; If they really want it, they'll get it. Not much you can do but slow them down enough to hear them and go put several hundred grains of your favorite lead additive into their torso.

Axlesupagain

G

·
Let's see... A license plate the reads "Automotive Security by Smith and Wesson" (hoping they went to school and can read), an Alpine alarm and a loaded 45. on person at all times. If stealing a vehicle is worth not seeing morning then they can try..... : )

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I used to work at a salvage yard that repossessed vehicles for the banks...
If I really wanted it, I'd take the wrecker and tow it away...

That was in the mid 70's, and there wasn't a car on the place I couldn't get into and running in 60 seconds...
Some of the ignition kills were the hardest to defeat.
Newer vehicles all have fuel injection, and that presents some interesting ways to disable the vehicle..

I have a friend, and after his S-10 croaked hundreds of times, and was stolen, but abandoned by the thief when the thing quit, we found the problem.
Factory didn't run a ground wire for the computer. So we completely isolated it from body ground, added a ground wire with a switch... Shuts EVERYTHING down... Fuel, ignition, everything....

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
How about replacing the seat-belt warning noise that comes on when you start the Jeep without the seatbelt on (unless you've already cut and connected the wires or otherwise by-passed this) with a speaker that says "This Jeep will self-destruct in T minus 5...4...3...2...1..." It would at least be funny!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
well, if you have a secure place in your jeep ie. tuffy console or something close to it.. you can put a toggle switch in there and run it in the ignition system.. but put it on the coil side.. another trick i used was reaching up under the drivers fender and disconnecting the computer.. could put a piece in there that you could remove.. so they could never hook it up.. have several other ways also.. but there are some..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.