Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions -- I have a '85 CJ-7 with an inline 6 and stock parts for now. I am getting ready to start a rebuild on it but would like to do it in 2 phases; the first is for all mechanical aspects with the second being more for cosmetics such as bumpers, seats, paint, etc.

On to the questions:
1. I am trying to locate the service manual for this model but have not been able to find one. I have contacted Chrysler/Jeep and the original publishers but it is out of print and no one has a copy. Does anyone know where I could find a copy?

2. This is my first jeep rebuild and so far I have only rebuilt engines for performance and speed, and not for 4x4 capabilities; so I am open to any suggestions on the mechanical side. Parts in particular would include the carb, rockers, headers/exhaust systems, suspension, cam, hubs, lockers. The engine is solid and I plan on staying with the 258, the drivetrain was rebuilt shortly before I bought it and is in great condition so I plan on leaving it alone during this rebuild (its all original and uses the Warner T-5 trans.) I will probably have more detailed questions as I get into this but upfront ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

3. On the suspension, I would like to put about a 1 to 1 1/2 inch lift to it; what would be the best way and what are the pro's and con's?

Thanks....
Don M. Leners
1985 CJ-7 -- original condition...for now....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you want an excellent factory Jeep service manual go to www.thejeep.com. They have most any model that you can imagine and they are reprints of the actual Jeep manuals. I have on for my Commando and it covers anything you would ever need to know about the stock vehicle. Most of the manuals are under $30.

Scott C

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Haynes Jeep CJ manual is very good also. You can get them at most auto parts stores for about $15.00.

Chilton's is good, too.

Welcome to our little Jeep-World. This is the place to get any info you need. You'll also get some info you don't need.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
just remember that the stroke is incorrect for the 304 in the chilton's manual.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
325 Posts
I kinda like the Haynes better...I hate that index in Chilton and I found some mistakes in that manual...i.e. the vacuum diagram for the 78 I6...they show a reprint of the V8.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the chilton also, and Im not real fond of it. Anyone know where I can get the correct vaccum diagram for a 78-79 with a 258

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I am telling you that I have used Haynes and Chilton's and neither compares with the factory repro. The one I have for my Commando has over 400 pg. and it covers everything: and I mean everything. It has factory vacuum diagrams, wiring diagrams, emmissions diagram I mean the whole enchillada. It is the most informative source I have ever found. I bet that Turner Off-Road (www.thejeep.com) would even give you a short trial period if you don't want to be out $30.

Scott C

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
the commando manuals are just over $30 but the cj manuals are $79 plus shipping. i've used the one at the local jeep dealer a few times. they are worth the money.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of months ago, I gave up on the Chiltons and Haynes manuals -- too many errors, not enough specifics -- and purchased the factory service manuals. I gotta tell ya... THERE IS NO COMPARISON!! The factory service manuals are superior in every way, shape, and form...except price, but ya get what ya pay for. Rather than a manual that covers 16 years of all CJ's -- you get a larger manual that covers a specific model, model year, a specific engine for that model year, and specific tranny for that model year.

After a couple of weeks spent trying to locate the best price, I purchased mine directly from Chrysler. As it turned out, most of the outfits I could find who sold the factory service manual didn't sell the complete manual. Ya see, the COMPLETE manual consists of the Mechanical Manual, Transmission Manual, Engine Manual, Bodywork Manual, and Wiring Manual. Don't be fooled by a $30 85 CJ7 manual. Odds are, it's only the Mechanical Manual.

Through Chrysler, I was able to get everything except the Wiring Manual (temporarily out of stock) for a total price of $68.20 (including shipping). The Wiring Manual would have been an additional $8.00.

What number did you call for Chrysler? The local dealer or HQ? I tried the local dealer and they told me that Chrysler didn't make them anymore...lazy bastards. If you haven't already, try (800)890-4038. That should be the number to the Daimler/Chrysler Order Department.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Go easy! You're talkin' to a greenhorn.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I found my TSM for a 1980 CJ7 on line through a vintage book store cost $30.00 plus shipping but well worth it ..the chilton Hayse are too generic with alot of inaccuracies especially in the vacume diagrams ...My tsm has a slew of them for different engines and 49 states and california..

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.