Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I got to vent here. This evening, the wife and I went out to the movies. As usual in Atlanta, things were a little crowded on a Saturday night. Still PLENTY of LEGAL parking spaces, just a bit further to walk (50 yards MAYBE). Besides that we were in a MALL (NorthPoint to be exact) with 100 friggin acres of PARKING.

On the way in, the Jeep-wife says hey, look, Jeeps. Parked up on a nicely manicured island with trees (right next to the theater) was a CJ-5, and a TJ. These people had obviously just come in (engine on CJ was still warm/pinging slightly). When we came out, they were joined by a D-90.

Now this type of thing sets me off. Generally because it's those wimpy SUV's like Lexus, Acura, and Excursions. The kind that the only way the owners will "offroad" is if they happen to park in somebody's planter. But when I see Jeeps do it (especially somebody driving a CJ, a subgroup who generally knows better) it really makes me angry. This type of behavior only serves as an example to those who would ban our sport. This only ruins it for the rest of us (so much for "tread lightly"). These idiots who probably know NOTHING of our sport get lumped in with us and only cause us grief.

Personally, unless there isn't a space for miles, I wouldn't consider this tactic. I'm about as un-PC as they come, but on this, I think it's a simple matter of courtesy and respect for other people's property.

Thanks, [rant off] just had to get that out of my system.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I will admit there's a couple times i've taken advantage of parking on medians but it when the fing parking lot is full of cars and usually they are "paved" with bricks, i wouldn't think of parking in a planter. Also when it snows around here they plow snow into nice piles taking up lots of parking spots and i will parking on one with out thinking. Today at the ski area i was parked on one, they are great because sometimes they are close and if you hit the pile right you are still in the lines. Maybe because i'm young and stupid but i don't see much of a problem with it.

Barrelroll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
In reply to:

because i'm young and stupid but i don't see much of a problem with it
I'm young and stupid also, but would never do anything like that.
Parking on the pile of snow may be ok (since it's on the pavement), but parking in the median/island/flowerbed thingie is just plain ignorant.
Imagine yourself in the maintenance guys' position. Would you want to be out there daily covering up tire tracks in the flower bed because some idiot thought it would be cool to park "off-road"? I don't think so . . . /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

·
Registered
276 Posts
On the snow pile parking thing - back in the late 80's I had a Toy 4wd, and I worked at a job where we had a small parking lot. So one night after a snowfall, and the lot was plowed, there were even fewer parking spots. So I thought I'd do my co-workers a favor and park on one of the snow hills and leave a spot for them. EXCEPT when we finally got out of work that day, the snow had melted enough that I was sunk into that pile! Good thing one of the guys had a 4wd Suburban to pull me out.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Duct tape, WD-40, and a BFH, what else do you need?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I don't see the big deal about parking on a snow-bank.

In my case that spot was a 1hr parking spot. The snow clearing guys had piled all the snow there, and it was about 2 - 2 1/2 feet above the rest. I parked on it, went into 7-11, came out. I didn't stay longer then an hour. I didn't break the law. I just used a parking spot that only a lifted Jeep could have gotten into.

It's kind of my version of those "Small Car Only" spots, or the underground parking spots that are 2" too low for me to fit.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
My behemoth of rig stands out so noticeably, that if i do something like that, I would become the "poster rig" for the Sierra Club (or any other "Suburbanite Yuppies Aggainst Bubbas With Big Tires" club). I occasionaly drive my rig to the DFG Office to obtain info or permits for the "Designated Wetlands Area", on my constructiion project. Their office is located next to the "very idealogicaly green" local college campus, and I can feel the hair on my neck stand up, from the vibes I get for just driving into the parking lot and parking. If I were to miss a corner, catch a planter and pull up a small patch of well groomed Kentucky Blue grass, into one of my tire lugs, it would make the cover page of "A Better Planet",(through Human eradication).
Now if you wanna make an off road statement, of your rigs prowess. Park a tire on the hood of one of the SUV's on the lawn,..at least dare to be different. If the owner complains, just explain to him, that much like he felt compelled to park on someone elses property, you were feeling the same way.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True words H8. Remember, those are SELF-cleaning lugs, they work on the overly rabid greenies too. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

On the issue with the snow banks, I think you guys have missed the point. I've done that too. If it's a valid spot, or something that won't be torn up when the 37 feet of snow is gone, and you are not in danger of damaging other people's property, why not? People would, should, and could park their vehicles in the spot if no obstruction were there. The obstruction is not an impediment to your rig. No brainer.

Now you are also not allowed to whine if you damage your rig by parking there, get stuck by sinking in, or further barricaded by additional plow action. Other than that, have fun!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
773 Posts
Must have been going around last night. I went to meet some friends for dinner in Marietta and the resturants lot was full. I had to park in the back next to the jackass that had parked over the line and when I pulled into the space I don't think it left enough room for them to even open the drivers side door. Then when I walked up to the front I see four guys leaning against a Expedition/Excursion that they had just drove up and parked on the grass slope next to the building. I thought about going in and telling the Manager, but they were so busy it would probably have been be overlooked.
All this brings up another parking lot habit that I hate. The sideways parkers, you know when someone parks across two spots at an angle on purpose to keep their car from getting dinged. I don't like dings or damage any more than them, but if your that afraid to drive your car get something else or park it as far a way as possible. When I see this done I always like to park in the position that makes it the hardest for them to get out of a space. I'm just kind of mean that way.

BMB

·
Registered
596 Posts
there was a time(before I was married) that if I saw a OK car or truck (you know like a stock blazer or tahoe or something) I would go and ding or chip the paint on it. now if it was a truely nice car (totally custom job, classic auto) and they parked over two spots kinda out of the main area, I didn't care.
I just hated the ***** that would take two spots right in front to protect the stock paint on a Exploder.
No, I was never driving the jeep at these times

surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

G

·
I agree with most of the anti-parking in a non-parking space comments already made...but surveyboy...you would intentionally ding someone's car? I don't care if they park and block access to a whole lot. That is just wrong. Definetly some bad karma.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
hehe, I pity the bastard I catch dinging my OK paint because he is an irresponsible idiot.

the grass parkers always piss me off also, just like the pricks in teh really expensive ( financed im sure) cars who think, they can park right up front at the door to walmart,lowes, or the grocery store, when they just run in for a minute.

IM starting to think driving a tow truck might be a really fulfilling occupation.

basically parking lots just suck.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

·
Registered
596 Posts
I will admit that was in my younger and dumber days. I guess that I just really hate parking lots. mostly at my college. parking is a premium and so anyone who takes two is an enemy. if someone had a nice car that they wanted to protect, they would typically park WAY out in the side.
I have had my pickup backed into twice, written on with a marker and to many door dings to count. I was always parked in my spot never over the line.
I only did it a couple of times and I know I shouldn't have, but sometimes stupidty gets the better of me.
Now I am much better, cause my wife tells me so! LOL
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I'm sure I'll catch hell for this one, but here goes.
I went to the movies a couple nights ago and there were absolutely no spaces available. Even the side-alley by the Theater was full. So I backed the Comanche down the cement culvert between some trees and into the (currently dry) drainage ditch. I didn't leave so much as a tire mark on the fine grass that was growing there on my trip in or out.

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

G

·
I guess we have all seen idiots taking two spots. I love to park my cj so close to them that opening the drivers door is impossible, he, he. Worst is when they are gone when I come out and it looks like I was the one double parking. I don't worry about chipped paint or body dings, with full diamondplate sides, a BFH is needed to leave a mark.

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Yeah, my Jeep repels other cars also! Just park it anywhere, and folks will go out of their way to leave a DMZ around it. Might be the threat of rust going airborn, but more than likely they don't want to be seen NEAR the Jeep. Someone might mistake it for theirs./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You gotta love open top Jeeps eh?

Park all of about 2.3" away from the guy next door and then climb out your window, over your windsheild and off your hood.

When you come back, just to be a jackass the guy has gone and opened his door into you?
Not your problem.. those 3/16 rocker pannels are there for a reason, on the other hand, his freshly detailed Honda is feeling the pain of diamondplate.

G

·
Speaking of parking on snow. Last year my friends and I were at a ski jump competion. There were so many people and no places to park. Well we all just backed up on these big snow banks that were left from when they plowed the grass parking area. As soon as we got out of our trucks the state troopers were there asking if we'd like to keep our drivers licenses! I guess parking on snow is illegal up here in Michigans Upper Penn :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Two winter ago our parking lots at work got plowed, sort of. The just took a pass around the edges which left the outer rows of spots about 3/4 covered in snow with about a three foot high ridge of snow and the about 18" over the rest of the spots. I would crawl over the ridge in the morning with my CJ-7 so that cars could use the fully plowed portions of the lot. The next moring there would be a blazer or explorer where I had been the day before. This continued for over a week. None of the owners of these SUVs was willing to drive over snow unless some other vehical had broke a path for them. It might have caused some scratches on the undersides and rocker panels of their cars. What a bunch of wossies! I only high centered once but a little forward momentum knocked the ice & snow of the ridge tops with out any problems.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
89 YJ
94 Grand Cherokee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts