Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I paint the exterior of my Jeep with that will be durable and good looking, well good enough looking anyway. I was thinking about
something like durabak, or some other type of truck bed coating. I am worried about how it would be to clean the mud off with the
surface being rough. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I painted the exterior of my Jeep last summer with Hammerite paint...it's holding up pretty well here in the rusty Pennsylvania. It's probably much easier to clean than Durabak or something similar.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think you can get Durabak without the rubber traction material in it. That would probably work better for the exterior.
I also painted my jeep with Hammerite (spray cans). It actually came out much better than I imagined it would. I only put one coat on the whole jeep mostly so the thing would be one solid color. I plan on putting some more coats on this summer with a paint gun though. Works well but takes a long time to fully cure when you put it on to the recommended thickness.

'79 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the process of repainting my CJ-7. The tub was rusty, so I've repaired it and hope to get a few more years before going "glass" or with a new steel one.

I too was wondering what to paint it with. I've used this product called Duplicolor Bedliner. It comes in a spray can and is meant for truck beds. It comes in any color you want....... as long as its BLACK. And for the money (@ $6.00 or $7.00/can) I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the end result. The entire jeep is a nice semi-gloss black and has a slight texture to it. It's fairly durable and any scratches can be touched up with a can and some masking tape. The best part is, because it comes out textured, it is very forgiving when it comes to imperfections in the underlying layers and bodywork. It dries very quickly (20 min) and really suprised me with its ease of application (runs are almost impossible to acquire./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Because it produces a slight texture (unlike durabak, etc.) to the body panels, I believe it will be easy to wash off after a day of fun. Waxing... (YIKES!!)...well that might be another story altogether /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

I've also choosen stainless steel exterior parts (hinges, yokes, etc.) and the end reult should/will look fairly sharp.

I recommend you check it out. Buy one can and paint something simple (like your gas pedal assembly or battery tray) and judge for yourself.

Enjoy.

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the duplicolor stuff before, and actually like it a lot. The only problem is that it only comes in black. That is what I was originally going to paint the Jeep, but I decided I would like it to have some color. Does anyone know how I could get the texture/toughness of the duplicolor stuff in a different color, like bright red? I would be willing to buy a paint sprayer to do it, so spray can's aren't a neccesity.
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts