Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was discussed a while back but a couple of buddies and I had planned on going to St. Martinsville Jamboree in Louisiana at the end of April. So far one has decided its too expensive ($215/person) and the other is having knee surgery. I've never been to a Jamboree and this one is less than three hours away. I think that I would benefit immensely from going but is it worth it. A couple of other guys are considering going but now I'm thinking maybe I won't go either. $215 is half a detroit and I'm running open diffs. My jeepchick is definitely not going to the Jamboree and now I'm considering maybe a Jeep camping trip to Arkansas maybe. I'm in Southwest Louisiana if anyone has any thoughts on the Jamboree or close places to take a Jeep trip instead I could use the help.
thanks

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To me the answer is no. I wheel with a club and here is SoCal there is always somebody going wheeling.
I have the same problem with the price that you mentioned. I wheel with my wife and son. That is way too much money to spend in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
$215 a person!! Are you out of your @#$!!! mind??

I love jeepin weekends. But part of the fun is the crowd, getting together, joking all on the "cheap". For that much money, they better repair your jeep when you get done.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking about the same thing, and the price is the only thing keeping me from going. I actually called them and the guy on the line said that they use the money for the meals they supply, spotters on the tough parts of the trail, and renting the land to drive on. But, if you bring somebody, you are looking at the price of an ARB air locker...after you add in the sleeping costs.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Ive been on some very awsome runs, with Saturday night bands,big raffles,outstanding trails,good food, and plenty of beer. All For about $35 a vehichle and $10-$12 each for a steak dinner, but a couple of T shirts and call it a weekend. Those big shin digs are to expensive and regimented,( I wandered into a big one on Fordyce Trail last year). All your really getting is someone to cook all your meals for you, I like to cook on the trail and I like my own choice of food. I can think of a lot of other things I could spend $450 - $500 on(like repairs).
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to go on Jeep Jamborees, but the price really does turn me off. I have been to three of them, and I can't dog them too much because they really kinda got me into Jeepin' more. These are the things that really bug me about them though:
#1: It is $215 Per Person, not per Jeep, so if you want to take a buddy, fuhgettabottit.
#2: I don't know where the $215 goes, it doesn't include Hotel, the food hasn't been marvelous & I one of the jamborees I was on
used land that I don't think they had to pay for (boy scouts, etc.). The spotters on the Jambo's I was on were volunteers from Jeep Clubs & just plain nice Jeep loving people. They do have some hefty prizes (winch, set of tires), but for as many people that go . . .
#3: It is $215 Per Person, not per Jeep (again because this really bugs me), there is no discount for just riders, and I think this only encourages sincgle operators.
#4: Only 1 day out of the 6 days of trail riding I've had on them has there been a small (less than 25) group of vehicles. It was really kinda a traffic
jam in the woods.

Here are the things I like:
#1: It is very convienient, there are lots of them
#2: You really get a broad range of people, new & old jeeps (but not to crazy mods)
#3: Its all jeeps
#4: I feel it's safety, & tread lightly orientatated.
#5: There are a bunch in the East Coast & Mid Atlantic & there aren't as many easily accessible places to wheel out this way than in the West, so it is very convienient.

I have never been on a Rosser ride, I would be curious to know how one of those events stacks up (comments would be appreciated), I got a flyer for one in PA in May, for about a zillion $$ cheaper than a Jambo., but my CJ won't be put together in time.

http://my.treeway.com/rickmelwest

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't pay $215 per person to be bumper to bumper in the woods. There are plenty of runs hosted by local clubs that cost under $100 per vehicle including t-shirts and food. I think there are club listings on off-road.com's home page and at places like rockcrawler.com

Good luck,
Axlesupagain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this makes me feel a little better about spending $68 tomorrow for 3 days at the Superlift 4xAdventure at the Badlands in IN. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'79 K10 mud racer
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've been to the Superlift adventure and just got back from the Rosser round up . Both of them were in Hot springs Arkansas.I think that they put on a pretty good event for the money,but I havent been to any other's to compare to..We met a lot of really nice people from the area .I dont think we'll go back to anymore big runs though.We talked to some of the trail leaders and they siad we could come play with them whenever we felt like it for free...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take great pains to make sure that when I'm out there there is NOT some big organized event going on. I go with my good friends, 1-5 Jeeps, and even that drives me crazy sometimes.

My friend Greg and I just went on a 5-day trip to Tellico. It was 686 miles one way. We took my Dodge Ram and towed the CJ-7 (11 mpg). 4 nights hotel w/ HBO and continental breakfast. Pizza Hut, Steak dinners, etc. 3 full days of hard-core wheeling ALONE at Tellico. Total cost was $325 per person. So I say screw the Jamborees - I think they are nothing more than a money-making scheme.

Actually, at one point on the ride down, Greg said, "You bought this truck just so we could go to Tellico didn't you?" And I was unable to answer... So it's possible the trip cost me an additional $29,300, but we won't get into that... :)

Chuck Hadley

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif TEX....the more time I spend under our recently-purchased '80 GM 3/4T the more amazed I am at what good shape it's in for just 3K....truly a "sleeper" if ever there was one. The "fresh' Goodwrench 350 holds perfect oil pressure and is clean inside and out. The speedo isn't working but the tach is, and I suspect it is standing on 3.42's front and back. If so, that's good, I like tall gearing with the 4-speed. I got the clutch to be somewhat "better" so it will be OK till I drop out the boxes later on. We have a radiator ordered and it gets a PS pump next week. Later on it will be bearings, seals and synchros for the 465 and the 205 and we will be set for another 100 thousand miles. I'm glad I discussed this unit with you because your reply really got us cranked up and in a buying mode./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifI still look in amazement at that one-piece driveline with the slip yolk at the t-case. Does the term "Mick-E-Mouse" bring anything to mind?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Dave, what else are you lookin' to buy that I can get you to blow $$$ on?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Seriously, glad the truck is workin' out!

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I know this sounds wierd, but we have just about run out of stuff to buy for the CJ. We DO need a set of wheels, however, for the winter tires. We are looking to put some 235 85R 16 Coopers on it in the discoverer pattern. Our summer tires & wheels are, well.......W-I-D-E...and will not work in snow. We can use the altenate set of T&W's under the future Jeep trailer, so which ever wheels the CJ isn't standing on at that moment, we use on the trailer. Actually, the '80 3/4T has a fresh set of Also-tires in 235 85R 16 on it now. Not the discoverer pattern of course but the right size for the CJ. They are not really rated for enough weight for a truck like that, so they may end up on the CJ. Decisions, Decisions,/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.