Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my discussions and conversations with many "non-Jeep" people, I am often confronted with the Army surplus "Jeep-in-a-crate" story. Although I've seen pictures from WWll in books of Jeeps disassembled and in crates, I have never heard of any Jeeper who claimed that his Jeep was bought in this way.

I was wondering if any of you have ever been told this myth or have any information on anybody getting a Jeep in this manner. It would almost certainly have to be a WWll Willys MB or a Ford GPW because the other Jeep models are all assembled at the factory, to my knowledge.

Best Regards/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Jim Young
xjy173

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif In about 1949, the two brothers who farmed next door to us got a Jeep in a crate. The crate came in on the train, and they dragged it out off the train onto the railroad dock which all towns had. These guys were both Lieutenants in the army in WWII, and if they couldn't get it army surplus, they didn't need it was their motto. They later got a T-9 dozer in a crate as well. That's an International Harvester TD-9 except it was a gasoline model hence T-9. They used the crate for a garage for the tractor for years./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifThere is something about getting something by train......it really was a big deal....especially to a kid......to go downtown and drive up on the dock and hook onto a new piece of farm equipment./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, I figured if ANYBODY on this BBS ever saw one come in a crate, it would've had to be you!!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifYou're theMOONGUYKing of Jeepdom!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've never found a jeep in a crate, but about a month ago I found 2 1971 jeep 360's new wrapped in plastic in a crate. The guy who had them bought a dealership years ago and had them. I bartered him down to 500 but I hesitated because I figured I would have to tear them down and replace the gaskets and all that. I kick myself now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is also one of the oldest scams in history.Useto be ad's in back of magazines like popular mechanics etc. touting military surplus it was the grandaddy of todays get rich schemes and auction deals you probably have better odds of winning the lottery than finding one.even back in my Harley days there was always was someone, that knew someone ,that had an uncle, who had a cousin ,whose brother in law ....could get military surplus Harleys from as recent as Korea ......Of cource there were no rubber gaskets included because rubber rots in the cosmolite ...or whatever they packed it in....although when confronted with actual contacts or infomation they faded away like early morning fog....

I believe if you sent away to the ad in magazines you got a list of dead ends,I was never gullible enough to fall for it and in 47 years have NEVER seen one..
But some people still believe the earth is flat ....DUH...and there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...good luck finding it

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
There was an article in one of the 4WD mags about the jeep in a crate deal. they prove the only ones in a crate are those on the bottom of the ocean in sunken liberty ships,

brownbagg

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than CJDave, I haven't heard of anybody who could verify this particular story. Yes, you always see in mags or hear on the grapevine things like this but I think it is largely a modern day myth. Dave said that the crated Jeep was bought in 1949. I would doubt if even the government keeps 60 year old surplus in storage. Probably all the crated Jeeps were sold long ago.

I thought that the Korean War vintage motorcycles were Indians. Like you said in your profile, one learns something new each day!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

However, the government does keep supply for systems that might still be used. When the US Navy reactivated the Iowa Class Battleships during the 1980s, there was plenty of stored 16inch shells and powder bags available for them despite the fact that they had been mothballed for at least 25 years.

Take Care!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
To the best of my knoledge the Govt. dosen't sell any of its surplus vehicles today unless it is what they call "demiliterized" in civilian talk that means scrapped...I read this some time ago at an online site.....unless of cource you have an uncle, who has a cousin ,whose brother in law, can get you one ..LOL

in that case If I were you I would be investing in the lotto.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've heard about the government agreeing to sell surplus M-151 MUTTS only after they cut the body in half with a torch; it seems like they were worried somebody would roll them over and then sue them!! (something to do with the IFS, I think) I guess they never figured that some enterprising Jeeper could weld it back together after he bought it!(How do you say it...DUH?) /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I read an article in some mag that said there is a firm that sells MUTTs with fiberglass bodies. If I remember correctly, they buy surplus parts and install the mechanials onto a frame they build and then put the body on it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
About ten tears ago I was working as a civilian at Aberdeen Prooving Ground in MD. I personally saw the surplus Jeeps that the Defense Re-Utilization and Marketing Organization auctioned off. They were listed as something like "M-151 Parts" and they were indeed tourched into four peices. They also sold lots of engines strapped to pallets. Recently a lot of mid-eightys military Blazers and 2-1/2 ton trucks have been auctioned off. These were in no way de-militarized and could be driven home.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the reason why they cut the MUTTs up was they thought they were prone to roll overs. Oddly, I never read or heard of the government cutting up M38A-1s before selling them, even though the CJ-5 got roasted in the press for being "dangerous"./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
There is a place north of gulfport MS that has about 500 Russian military 4WD vehicles from the mid fifty to today. He contracted with the government to refrubish but the deal fell through.

brownbagg

·
Registered
552 Posts
A few years ago when I was searching the countryside for fence-row junkers I saw a complete M-151 MUTT. It was in a small town sitting along the side of a garage. I don't know if the drivetrain was in it but it still had the independent suspension. I have always thought about trying to buy it and fixing it up but never have persude it.

87 wrangler - 258

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
My neighbor bought a MUTT. Still has it. It's WAY cool. It did take a year and a half to get something about the title done to even get it on the road. He got a lawer and finally got plates.(and a new different jeep)He also ended up paying 1/2 of what they were asking. Anyway it's a neat piece!!!!!!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifCJ Dave is the only person to ever see a crate jeep in person outside the military. Might of even seen Fred flintstone take deliverary of his new car./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Just kiddin Dave! What Brownbagg mentioned was in JP a month or so ago.
Also said someone offered 100K or was it a mil. for one in a crate. He never got a reply./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
From what I understand, when a MUTT, or M151 leaves the ground for any reason, the IFS collapses inward causing it to roll over at as little 15 MPH! The army corrected this in the M151 A2, but by that point, gov was to scared to release any more. Oddly enough, many operational units escape into civilian hands. About a year ago, I saw an article about the Marines selling a ton of HUMMERS to some industry which turned around and sold them to the private world! Same goes with MUTTs, just gotta keep an eye out for gov mistakes. BYW, I had a great uncle who got a jeep in a crate back in the forties. From what I understand, it was a royal pain to assemble.

G

·
A few issues ago, in Petersen's 4-Wheel and Off-Road, there was a special on military vehicles. They had the myth about a jeep-in-a-crate. They also showed a mock-up of a jeep-in-a-crate. Their story of how this came to be a myth is that during WWII, Jeeps were disassembled and placed in crates for easier shipping. They also listed some Jeep collector that is offering a reward for any information that would lead to an actual jeep-in-a-crate. When I get home I'll try to find the back issue to let you guys know.

Richard
(For those who fight for it, peace has a flavor the protected will never know)

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone again for their answers. I'm sure from the responses and picture evidence that there were Jeeps in crates at one time but if a large some of cash can't seem to produce one; I'm guessing they're a thing of the past. Like Brownbagg said before, the only place you might find them now is at the bottom of the oceans.

The surplus vehicles available today would be interesting to own but my own experience tells me that the more modern civilian Jeep models (CJ,YJ and TJ) are probably better vehicles to own for every day use, along with Commandos, Cherokees, Wagoneers and the Pick-ups./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.