Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into info for a friend with a 88 G.M.C Jimmy S-15 that was interested in a solid axle swap.I was wondering what to jeeps have for front axles? I think this would a fairly close match width wise but I have no idea what Jeeps have for frontends,as far as I know they have Dana somethings am I wright?Also how strong are they[be honest!] as I see lots of Jeeps with upgraded running gear but they usually have V-8's and are built for extreme rockcrawling so would it take 35's and a 4.3 V-6?Any help much appreciated and happy wheeling.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The closest match to the Jimmy would be a Cherokee or a Commanche pick up front axle. Stock for the Jeeps would be a Dana 30 with driver side differential. Later Dana 30s don't have the vacuum axle disconnect and they would be preferable. I believe that the GM S-trucks use a NP-207 or 231 transfer case and that would be the same as the Jeeps. A stronger axle would be the Dana 44 but I'm not sure the diff would be on the side you need. Good Luck!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 30 front is marginal at best. If it's already there, folks tend to try to live with it (I did). But, nobody puts one in there on purpose when there is so much fabrication to do. Go for the 44. If he already has a 4x4, the t-case output will need to be on the Driver's (Ford) side. The donor axle would be from a pre-'78 Bronco & would be roughly the correct width (get the matching 9" rear & you're set). You could also use a Scout II 44 front with passenger-side (GM) pumpkin, but will need a different t-case to make it work. Just my $.02.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
1980 and up Jeep Grand Wagoneers used D44 front axles with the driver's side pumpkin. Thats what I got my set of axles from, D44s front and rear, but the front axle has a bunch of vacume crap sticking out next to the differential. Any clue as to what this is?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I would think that vacuum "crap" is the axle/differential disconnect for 2wd operation. I know those years full size Wagoneers have a front disconnect./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.