Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend has decided that she wants to get a small car like a civic or corrolla so the Cherokee is going. I am keeping my TJ so I am not completly leaving the Jeep family. My question is that the Cherokee has had a DW problem since we have bought it. First off it is a 97 XJ sport 4X4 4.0. I have addressed a few items in the suspension in hopes that it would solve the problem but it has only got worse over the last year. I have replaced the Track bar and all four of the shocks, tires have less than 10,000 miles on them and the front rotors are new. I know the ball joints are solid. The steering has always been very loose and has had a lot of play in it since we purchased it. In the last month the steering gear box has also developed a very loud knocking or clicking noise when trung the wheel from side to side. I was just wondering if y'all think this could be the cause of the DW and also if I adjust the worm gear would that possibly solve the loose steering problem and DW? Thanks

· Registered
4,117 Posts
How do you know "the ball joints are solid" ? Worn tie rod ends, steering dampener, alignment, and also the pit-man arm joint, can all play into DW. Is it stock height? Lifted with out proper compensation in alignment is a huge cause of death wobble. Yes a worn out or out of adjustment steering gear box would be a serious contender for a DW cause also, but I am unsure if you can adjust them in the jeeps or not, and if so I would have to confer to a service manual for the proper adjustment procedure. Basically any loose or overly worn steering and front suspension components can lead to Death Wobble.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I narrowed down the where the sound of the clicking is coming from, which has become louder since my last post. It is the blot that holds the track bar in place on the axle side banging around inside the mounting bracket. I have already replaced the track bar so I know it is the mounting bracket and not the bar itself. I am guessing that the hole has become worn out from the bolt moving around in there. THere is about 1/8 to 3/16 movement in the bar on the axle side. Whats my next step to get it fixed? I was thinking of welding a washer to the outside on both sides of the bracket. But Im gonna have to find someone to weld for me as I have no experience or equipment for welding. What are some other ways to fix this here in my garage without welding or cutting? Could I just drill the hole out and stick a larger grade 8 bolt in it?

· Registered
4,117 Posts
No, drilling it out isn't going to do you any good, as a larger bolt would then be unable to go thru the end of the trac bar. You could drill out the hole and make short little bushings to take up the difference, but welding the hole up and re-drilling would be the most ideal way to fix it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Be sure to check the control arm bushings as well. They can become very worn and will fail to keep the axle properly aligned.
i can see mine worn out and needs to be replace. so my question is, who is the best manufacturer of control arm that i will be using in my jeep? i am not after the price, im after the best quality i can find. also give me some sites where you get them. i want to canvas first i found this car parts site but has anyone tried this? not really popular to my friends. thanks

· Registered
1,571 Posts
i can see mine worn out and needs to be replace. so my question is, who is the best manufacturer of control arm that i will be using in my jeep? i am not after the price, im after the best quality i can find. also give me some sites where you get them. i want to canvas first . thanks
General consensus is that rubber is better than poly. If you have the money, get new arms from an aftermarket supplier such as 4wd or Quadratec. I went with new arms from NAPA. They are as close to OEM as you can get and made a big difference in handling. Not too expensive, but more then AutoZone/Advance Auto. Better quality though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.