Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn't!
This sucks :(
I was dropping my gas tank to check the filter for my sender and right when it dropped fuel started coming out...and onto my light I was using.
All of a sudden I was on fire and there was fire everywhere.
I got myself out and called the fire department and they were here within 5 minutes.
They got it out..but my garage is really black and a bunch of crap is burnt.
My jeep has paint melted off half the side.the top is toast..you can't open the doors because of the melted plastic.
A tire popped cause it was on fire..and it really looks like [censored].
this is devastating.
I'll try to take some pics in a bit and post them
:(
I hope homeowners insurance covers it :(

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: MOTER****!!!!JEEP CAUGHTON FIRE!!

Ouch.

My buddies brother lost a mint Bronco (older) when the shop was welding a shock bracket on and "accidentally" welded through the gas tank (?).

When I dropped my tank, I was so paranoid that I would blow up the neighborhood, I took every caution I could think of.

Oh well,

Glad you're okay.

At least you know body work/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Thank heaven you weren't burnt too, or at least too much, Joey.
The new fluorescent bar drop lights are really the best type to use, for those who want to learn from Joey's experience....
Especially since it's so easy to break the filement and/or bulb in the old style drop lights.

Sorry, Joey ... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

·
Registered
4,282 Posts

That really sucks, good luck with insurance, those things really suck.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

·
Registered
745 Posts

Sorry to hear. Especially after all the time you've been putting in. I do hope your homeowners covers your loss. Good luck.

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Weberized/2" leafs

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

Sorry about the fire.
Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt!
Anything we can do to help, you know we will...

How about dropping the 'MotherF*ck' from your title line?
I know you were pissed, but that's pretty strong here!

How was that for asking nicely!?!
I know you are upset, and I don't want to add insult to injury...
(but this isn't the Pirate4X4 wanna-be board, and we know sh*t happens to EVERYBODY, and we ain't going to beat you up for it)

If you need help with wiring or any parts I might have lying around, let me know.
Where do you live, I might be able to lend a hand.?...
NOPE! This slow board finally brought up your bio, OK is a little far for me...

The offer for stray parts and info still stands!

So many cats, so few recipes...

G

·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
Bummer! Glad you're OK though.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

TR beat me to it. While it sucks to have that happen, this is a family board and some of us would appreciate it if you kept it PG-13.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·

Good to hear you are ok, the Jeep can be fixed. Drop light, sometimes I wonder if that is how they got the name. You drop them and something lights. A some shop where I grew up caught on fire just about the same way, building and cars inside were a complete lose.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

I've been using my dad's drop light for the past few days pulling my manifold and putting it back on.

I'm going to head down to the local auto-place and get myself a florecant one.
I'm always working near fuel lines and such, it only takes a tiny stream from the end of the fuel port on the carb to lite the whole car up....

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

A 10 lb. fire extinguisher or two should be the FIRST thing you hang in any new shop.
A hook for your safety glasses should be the second.

So many cats, so few recipes...

G

·

Sorry it happened Joey. I'll tell ya, the homeowners will cover the garage but the Jeep will go on its own insurance.
I lost a '68 camaro to a garage fire (was not licensed for the road...so no insurance was on it) and homeowners only covered damage to the garage.

I thought that TeamRush did a great job getting the point across...he deserves an 'atta boy!

I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up
'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274

G

·

sorry to hear about the jeep man!! that adds new meaning to the word! your insurance should cover it as long as it was sudden and/or accidental. hell they'll cover your carpet if you spill bleach on it! good luck, if you have any problems with the insurance part drop me a line and i have a friend who can help, he's an insurance adjuster.

89 YJ,TR upgrade 1" shackle lift, 31x10.50. 1" body lift coming soon.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

Haha, Tdavis, had to read that twice.
First time I made up my own ending..

"if you have any problems with the insurance part drop me sone cash, I have some friends who can help "adjust" the insurance guy."

It could be changed so easily...

·
Registered
609 Posts

that really sucks dude. I am really glad i didn't catch anything on fire with all the torching/welding i have done/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Good luck.

BTW how did you get a curse word to post. I thought they all got [censored]!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sincerly apologize for the title ..I thought the board would automatically censor it.They censor it when it is in the body of the message,but I guess not the title.
I posted this about 10 minutes after it happened..the firefighters were still here.
I've been home alone and I my mom was on her way home..I was kinda paniced,and wanted to relay the message :(

I thought the one I had was flourescent...I don't know.
It's a new craftsmen,and heck its still in awesome condition out there.Somehow it stayed in tact.

I hope that was only in your state or situation jungle :(
It's really not that bad..except body wise.
I need to get a top before too long.I have NO idea how I'm going to get this plastic off.
It's like when you melt a candle,and everything stays on.
Thanks for all the reassurance guys.
I guess the only thing that matters is I'm alright..but it's just so painful seeing your baby go up in flames and you can't do anything about it.
If I had gotten this fixed,that was all I needed with the exception of bolting up my new front driveshaft.
I had EVERYTHING fixed except it ran bad every once in a while :(
It's been about 4 months and I haven't driven it more than 3 weeks in total.I finally was content and this crap happens.
Thanks for the offers on the stuff too guys.
I don't think I need much but knowledge to fix the wiring in the rear..it looks all clean and burnt out.
I don't know if I'm going to have to get another gas tank or not either..it blew off some pieces of mine.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you all would edit your post and edit the subjectto cut out the word,it won't appear on the screen anywhere.
Here are the pics,they don't do it justice at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess the cool thing is I could drive it around and have a true paint job
it has colors going from white to black..like it is on fire.
The back is where it is the worst..very black.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Glad to here you are okay, the Jeep can be fixed, people are harder to fix.
I totally agree with you Aaron, fire extinguishers and saftey glasses are a must, I have done the emergency room trip for metal embedded in my cornea, not fun.
On a lighter note, at least you can say your Jeep was really flamed /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts