Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how well JB weld really works. I picked it up today to fix a problem that I have and was just curious of your opinions.

I have a crack in my Timing cover for my 304. I am having a hard time finding another timing cover and think I may try to fix it until I find one.

Any comments on the stuff??? THANKS!

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The stuff will last forever on an area that isn't really stressed. I've never been brave enough to use it on a critical stressed area, but
the places I have used it to make repairs it has worked just fine, acted just like the metal. Seems to do a real good job on aluminum.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used JB for many different jobs, including patching a crack similar to what you're talking about.
Recently I found something I like better...... It's called Quick Steel. It's a putty that you roll in your hands to
"activate" I had the chance to use it on a TH400 tailshaft after a friends Blazer tried to move a rock with his front D60. The drive shaft pushed back into the the NP205, and something had to give. The aluminum tailshaft cracked about 1/8" wide and over 3/4 around the entire tailshaft. We put in a tube of quicksteel, some new fluid, and finished the trail and drove the 90 miles home with a slight leak.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The quick steel is real good to use for a crack ,but it can still leak oil. I used the quick steel and then put JB weld over it. It might sound like overkill ,but it seals it up. The quick steel is good to fill holes, because JB wled is to runny. My next project is to make an engine block out of quick steel and Jb weld. :)
hope it works out for you
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 (not made out of JB weld)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought you all would fine this interesting. Some of the old tractor guys and stationary engine
guys will sometimes use JB-weld to fill rust pits in cylinder walls some times
they are bad enuff to call them worm holes. These engine might not be worked hard
but they will run them in shows. These people seem to trust this fix completly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used JB Weld and JB Kwik on a lot of different things. The only thing I would say is to let it set up completely before you even touch it. It's saved my butt quite a few times on the trail. Hell, might as well try fixing it before replacing it. You'd probably be out about $5 if it doesn't work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long is enough time to set up on the trail? Example would be an oil pan. I bought some and it seems like it said several hours.
thanks
danm

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Hey Jersey Guy......a Jeeper just contacted me about your cover....he has a good one he will sell for 100 clams. His e-mail is: [email protected] his name is Matt. Tell him you heard from CJDave and he will know how it was that you have this address./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
If you need help in the installation, the moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif are available next week after they get back from the Senate hearings in Washington DC/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Actually I just got back from the local yard. I found a Jeep Pickup with a 360. I got the timing cover from that. In fact, the owner gave it to me for free since I have gotten so much other stuff from him and I showed him the other cover that I had problems with. I spent $30 bucks for all of the other stuff that I needed. My motor is ready, All i Need to find is a flywheel.

Is the flywheel from a 360 and 304 the same for a manual trans??> Thanks

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It is my understanding that they are different for each engine./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just noticed your post about how long to let it set up. JB Weld takes a couple of hours, but JB Kwik only takes about 5-15 minutes(if I remember correctly). Works out good for a lot of temporary trail fixes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will Jb Weld do a good job to hold together the nuts against the back of my dash that the windshield bracket screws into? The nuts fell off and now so are the ones in my windshield where the rollbar attaches.

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if you have tried to fill the water ports on a 4.0 head you know it is difficult to keep the JB in place. We I thought you might be interested in the approach my machinist and I are trying. See, I buy some red or black licorice, suppose any flavor will do. Cut it into pieces about 1 inch in length. Tie a small piece of thread around it. Stick the licorice in the small ports until it goes to the back side. Then turn it so it covers the back side of the port. Then pull it until snug. Fill the port with JB Weld. Let it set up slightly before releasing string. After set up slightly, cut string and put a little more JB over it. Once head is completed and on engine, fill with water and run. Let the licorice dissolve. Empty or flush system. Fill with coolant. What do you think?

Mindbender
CJ7 258

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.