Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyones views on Jacobs Ultra Pro Street Ultra team. Or any other system that is better. I am looking to upgrade my ignition due to cold weather problems, along with power and fuel economy.

Peter

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Go here before you buy ..... http://dirtroad.com/tioli.htm ..... there are some folks there that have comments on that Jacobs set up. I have a Jacob's Omni something or other. Didn't notice much difference (92 Caravan 3.0 riceburner) but I did achieve 23-24 MPG on the highway (even without a lockup torque converter -rebuilt trans) which I NEVER achieved with the stock ignition from new (now has 110K on it). It also appears (now you must understand that I want this to be worth it) that I can "pull" a little better from 80 mph on up...... but how often do I do that? Like most products .....they deliver less than they claim .....which is not to say that they are junk.

GeeAea

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I guess every vehicle is going to be a bit different. I have a Jacobs Omni Torque system on my 304 V8.
It increased my mpg from 10 up to 13. And I also got a noticeable increase in horsepower.
But I didn't notice any difference in start-ups or idle.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, here's my experience. I bought a Jacobs Ultra Team system about four years ago for a Ford I was driving. It was pretty easy to install - connect power and ground to the control box, disconnect the plug at the oem coil and plug it in to the matching plug on the Jacobs harness, connect the anti-theft toggle switch (or just ground the wire if you don't want this feature) and your done. Took about 15 minutes. I noticed an immediate improvement in cold starts and after a tank or two, a sizable increase in mileage (about 6 mpg over stock in the 5.8 EFI motor). When I sold the Ford, I kept the Jacobs and about a week ago, I instaled it in my '90 YJ (4.2 I6). The same connections were made with one exception - the plug that matched the oem coil plug in the Ford didn't match the one in the Jeep, so I had to solder the connection to the wires that went to the coil. Again, took about 20 min. to install. One problem with my install was that I had to diode isolate the field wire on the alternator or else it back-fed power to the ignition and once started, would not turn off with the key! After I had done this, I called Jacobs customer service and asked them if they had heard of this, and they knew exactly what I was talking about - very common on Jeep vehicles. They even have a part that they send out with every Jeep Ultra Team, they call it a flow through limiter (basically a diode pack that installs on the alternator field wire). In any case, mileage has improved about 3 mpg so far, cold starts are no problem at all, and the engine runs a TON better at low rpm (like rock crawling). It used to miss and hesitate if I made it run below about 650, no it takes it no problem at all. Freeway driving is better to - the accelerator is more responsive, and much smoother. I don't regret buying it at all! I haven't tried the HEI conversion or an MSD system, so I can't say that they won't do just as good, but I am satisfied with my Jacobs system. Oh yeah, one other thing - since the Jacobs leaves your oem ignition intact, if you run into problems on the trail, bypassing the Jacobs is a matter of five seconds - unplug two connectors and plug one back in. Hope this helps. Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Jacob's Omni Magnum. I am very happy with mine, I noticed dramatic improvements. However, I have heard some horror stories. Talk to guys with MSD if you know any, and see how happy they are also. I just got mine last year, and it now comes with the diode to prevent the run on problem one of the other replies mentioned. I wasn't real impressed with Jacob's as far as how I was handled my the salespeople, in fact, they reminded me of the used car dealer stereotypes. The price just kept getting better till I finally bought one, for over $100 less than the initial price. However, it was easy to install, and I'm getting great performance. I have had some water issues, so I'm gonna mount it inside the cab and see how that goes. I would probably go with an HEI conversion or MSD next time to save money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an Ultra Team for a few weeks on the 95 Ford 4x4 302 auto. I installed it the way I was suppose to, bought the right kind of plugs, increased the gap. All in all, it made the truck .5 second slower 0-60. I messed with plug gaps again and again. I did three runs with the Jacobs, then three runs stock. Messed with it the whole time, everytime .5 second slower.

Not impressed, not worth the money.

80 CJ7 with 4 inch lift, 33x12.50x15 Trail T/A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.