Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, after a 25 minute wait on the phone, i finally got ahold of jacobs' customer service. they gave me a testing number to put on the box to send the omni-pak with. they said it would be two to three weeks before they even get to it. then if they can fix it, there will be a $33 charge. if not, they'll give me a '1/2 price special' price on a new one. i'm willing to bet the half price special will be almost as much as i paid for the thing in the first place. in the meantime, i'll have to regap my plugs to avoid frying another coil. if this is your idea of good customer service, than more power to you. if it's not, i'd recommend looking elsewhere.

will

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I've only had to send a half dozen MSD units back in the past 15 years, (Most of the time our screw-ups) but there has never been a charge for repair, even when a accident ran a steel rod through the module housing.
The tech line is always free, and I havn't seen a question yet they can't answer on the phone, plus they have a web site.
The last one, I bought used at the race track for $25, and it told them that, but they still fixed it for free. It was completely fried inside, and got all new internals. It also had the anti-vibration mount kit and diode for the GM HEI install with it when it came back. That was in August 99.
It cost $5.50 for UPS shipping to get it there, and they paid shipping back.

Just a thought... Aaron.

When a fool and a wise man argue, Onlookers can't tell the difference...

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, here's the outcome. i got a card saturday from jacobs saying that my omni-pak had been tested. after another 25 minute wait on the phone i got to talk to someone. he said a circuit (forgot the number) was fried and the unit was non-repairable which doesn't surprise me. then he said he'd sell me a new one for half price at $130. i only paid $160 for it in the first place. i wish i had known about jacobs bad reputation before i bought the thing in the first place. the msd upgrade is looking mighty good at this point along with the larger cap and tfi coil. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT JACOBS, DON'T DO IT.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
does anyone know if msd has a webpage.....if so can I have the address....thanx for the 411 on jacobs

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
http://summitracing.com Has MSD 6A modules for $131 and you get a dependable CDI ignition that blows the balls off of jacobs.
The 6A is dependable to more than 15,000 RPM, and out preforms ANY inductive ignition (jacobs) 100 to 1,000%.
I think you will be pleased.

MSD works with your stock coil and distrubutor just fine.
MSD uses Ford (Motorcraft) style pickups in most of their aftermarket distributors.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.