Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the Jacobs Ignitions really work? Does the Mileage master really improve bottom end torque and deliver better gas mileage? I have a 95 Pathfinder with a K&N cone filter and a 2 1/2" cat back freeflow muffler. I did see some improvement with these but mostly in the top end, 4000 rmp range and a small mileage improvement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted a similar question on the Jeep group a while back, and the consensus was that Jacobs products were good when they worked. Reliability seemed to be an issue with the majority. In my case I was changing from a low voltage distributor - to the GM-HEI - cheaper than Jacobs, but it only worked on my application because I have a 258 ci AMC motor in a Jeep. I suspect the Nissan's have a far superior ignition to begin with, so performance gains may be negligible.
If you do contact the Jacobs folks, negotiate the price, seems to be some flexiblity in the pricing.

CB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Omni Magnum and like it alot. On my 93 V6 P-U. It has much more low end grunt and revs higher. I put ona new cap, rotor, and plugs at the same time. Hope this helps.
Later, Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree here. I've heard more bad than good about these units. I personally run a MSD unit and is yet to fail. The best way to go is the unit that requires low maintenance, reliability, and low failure rate. You will notice a difference between the stock and the MSD unit immediately. You will be able to run larger plug gaps which mean more power. Anyway that's what I think.

Metal Thrashing Mad
"I'm a madman at the wheel"
NFT
"Square for battle, let the fray begin"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the ultrateam with the torquer coil for my 84 4x4 KC. The mileage went from 23.5 to 26.5 hiway (2.4L engine). Acceleration is noticeably better.

720s Forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What mods are you running on your 720 Charlie. I'm currently running 33" tires on my 720 and pull about 15 to 17 mpg is i'm lucky. I like your numbers as i'm tired of paying the gas bills for these damn tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am all stock except for the jacobs ignition (28" tires). I measure the milage on the same stretch of road
in the same direction and drive 60 to 65. It may be SLIGHTLY downhill. I have 115 K miles on the beast
but when it was new I sometimes got 27 on the long flat hiways we have here in Texas. What do you
think a weber carburetor will do to my mileage?

720s Forever

1 - 7 of 7 Posts