Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start my truck today and it wouldn't start :-O, I heard my fuel pump pressureizing so the fuel pump is working. I next checked the coil wires to see if they were on still which they were. So I took off the coil wire from the jacobs and reroute it back to the factory coil so its back to the factory set up and it started:) I then shut it off and switched them back and it again wouldn't start, so back it went again and all is fine... I wonder if all the mud did something to it? I did notice yesterday when going through the mud that it was cutting out intermitently but ran fine during idle and medium gas but when I floored it is when it did it and it had done this before when revving the motor up a couple weeks ago. I don't know if there is a rev limiter in it but I do know is that I could do it before and not now... I do need to replace my plugs still but the rings around the plugs are filled with mud. I did replace them at 35-40,000 and now am showing 96,000 long over due.

G

·
id just give jacobs a call and tell them whats wrong. they might be able to replace something that is broken for you, since their ignitions are supposed to be water and vibration proff, so u shouldnt have hurt it.

when you own a dodge you dont need a hobby

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Jacobs ignition on my 460 in my F250. I had similar problems with mine after I swapped in a different 460.

The Jacobs setup has an antitheft device. If you are not using it, you need to ground the black wire. If the ground gets bad it tells the computer that somebody is trying to steal the vehicle. It then allows normal operation for a very very short time, then it will start cutting out, and eventually die. Then it won't start again.

I know your pain. I was pulling my hair out in handfuls until I noticed that little black wire wasn't grounding properly. Grounded it and problems went away.

Hope this helps

'72 Commando. 360 TH400 SOA 33" Swampers
'78 F250 SuperCab 460 C6 NP205 Dana 60's 33's
'75 Dodge Powerwagon 440 NP435 NP203 Dana 44&60 33's, Western plow

G

·
Just a note from my experience...

I wouldn't have a Jacobs product on any of my rigs. My brother bought a system from them for his mud truck and it was scared of water. He never did get it to work right after trying several things to waterproof it. He ended up taking it off. I have a full MSD system on my mud racer and it has been great.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

G

·
HOWDY RAMIT1 / i dont know if you heard but the reason your PICs arent showing up is GEOCITIES got pissed off at everybody useing them for a PIC dump that they closed there domain which means the link to your PICS cant be seen so NO PICTURE / it sucks because I had all mine from there and had to change them over to a different server/ good luck and MOPAR TO YA /////////////////////////////////////WED

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from vacation so I haven't checked the ground and it is screwed down on the passengerside inner fender well. I had noticed that the fork connectors that go to my aux. battery from the jacobs unit was not very tight, I could wiggle the wire slightly so I will clean it up and tighten it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts