Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the jacob ignition system that I spent $350 for sucks off road. It great for pavement pounders but when off road for a while the ignition starts to sputter like its running out of gas but I reroute the coil wire back to the factory coil and all is fine. It uses the factory coil then to the jacobs pack in which then goes to the distributer cap. I just then pull the fuse to the jacobs to kill the power to it until I hook it up again. It has done this I think 3 times and only off-road. I guess its over heating since it has cooling fins for heat discipation.

G

·
Why dident you get a Jacobs coil with the kit??
Maby its overheating the stock coil??

'98 Ram 1500, Gibson cat back, K&N, 5" Skyjacker, 35" SSR's on 16x8 Eagle Alloy's

G

·
i had very similar results with my jacobs ignition, but after talking with the tech support. i swapped my platinum plugs for stock champions, gapped them to 55 - 60, and it kicks ass now - i still only get 7 - 9 mpg, but that's another story...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It runs the factory coil and the jacob magnum-omni??? coil in parrell. The factory coil wire goes to the jacobs coil then to the distributer cap. I have not replaced my plugs yet since the heat shields around the plugs are filled with old mud... Soon I will blast it out with air and switch them to the champion plugs that I have.

G

·
Well I don't know if their omni is built like the ultra coil but: on some of the ultra coils the coil wire actually goes down into the coil, this make a nice little spot to fill with water. A little silicone on the boot of the wire when putting it in fixes the problem.

Mopar_Mudder
http://mopar.rockcrawler.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.