Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is needed to put a J10 T18 into a '76 CJ5 with a AMC 304?? I will be replacing a T150 and Dana 20. The outfit I located has a Dana 20 also. I am planning on buying new driveshafts, but will the rear one be short enough or does it need to be a CV one? Don't yell at me yet-I did research this site and have taken notes for almost a year on this. I just can't sort all of the info out. Please list the adapters, driveshafts and lengths if possible, new clutch disk, etc. I am trying to decide if it is worth it. I do off road but not radically yet-the Jeep will be mostly new when this is done.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Does the T18 have the long input shaft, or is it the same length as the T150? If its the long one, you'll need to swap in a short one because the length will be too long.

Other wise, just get a new pilot bearing and use the J10 bell housing.
Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Brhino, if your T-18 has the short input shaft just check the input shaft size, spline count and pilot bushing size that`s needed to see if it`s the same as your T-150. If so it should bolt up to your T-150 bellhousing. If it`s the long shaft version you can swap in a Ford input shaft and bearing retainer and bolt it right up. Parts Mike and others sells this as a kit but I think you can also pick these up at a salvage yard. With a CJ-5 it might be best to use a rear CV shaft, but I wouldn`t attempt to have driveshafts made until you`ve got the tranny/tcase installed so you can get exact measurements. Some modifying will probably have to be done to the tranny/tcase cover and the skidplate/crossmember.

Jeff
`75 CJ-5,304,T-18/D300,
SOA w/YJ springs,D30/D44,
Always under construction

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The rear shaft length is going to depend on your amount of lift as well as the difference in length of the T18. Before I installed the T18 all the articles I read stated I would need a rear shaft of about 14.75" (converting from T15). When I installed the T18 in my Cj5 I was actually able to go back to my original rear shaft that was too short when I did the SOA. The stock unit ended up fitting perfect at 17.5" long (collapsed). Definitely wait until it is all in and measured before you buy a new shaft. My front shaft needed to be 3" longer, again from the T15 to T18 swaps longer overall length.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying the new drive shafts is not a problem. I did a shackle reversal so I need a new front one anyway. I am also ordering a new fiberglass tub. I just want to do the driveshaft purchasing once and the hole cutting in the new tub once. I think it is a long input shaft on the T18. My shaft on the T150 is 7.25". Is this the short length to match? Where do I find a short one and how much?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
buy a core Ford 2wdrive T18 and use the inout shaft and bearing retianer from that, ( I paid $43 for a used Fordt input shaft and retainer shipped across the US)
a week later I found a complete Ford T18 locally for $75, so its kind of whatever you find, BUT youll likely need bearing pullers to install and remove the input shaft, the tranny has to come majorly apart to install the input shaft ( mainshaft and idler shaft must be removed BEFORE input will come out)

I got a T18 from a 1979 J10 with a 360, andf the input shaft if about 14 inches long, and it had a spacer on the front of the tranny

the J10 T18 will bolt to your T150 bellhousing but youll need a special stud for the bolt hole nearest the clutch fork ( Parts Mike among others have this) and youll need to grind a little clearance notch in the clutch fork to clear the special stud mentioned above.

no other adapters needed, just fab or modify the tranny mount to crossmember

Id recommend installing a small parts kit ( bearings/gaskets) in teh tranny when you have it apart for the input swap, since it all has to be replaced or removed anyway, freshen it and itll outlast the Jeep if the hard interanal parts are good

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts