Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT\'S ALIVE......ALIVE!!!! and updated

WhoooooHooooo!!!!!The 5.0 fired up(and it only took three ignition modules to do it)! N more pulling my hair out trying to get it done(Oh wait, I have no hair) and working untill 1:30 in the morning. All that is left is the exhaust(tuesday) and the custom skid plate(as soon as the exhaust is done.....IT'S MILLER TIME.

G

·
Re: IT\'S ALIVE......ALIVE!!!!

...Congradulations...got any pictures?...

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S

G

·

Hell yea man.. custom skidplate.. whats your setup? So how does it sound? Loud as hell?

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm in the process of taking pictures as I go along. I decided to do the exhaust myself today. I'll get pictures of everything finnished today and they should be up monday.

Muddynut...I'm running an '88 mercury 5.0 with a T18/NP205 from a '79 bronco turning a '93 explorer 8.8/3.73/traclock. The finnished skid plate will only hang 2" from the frame rails compared to the almost 5" the original hung with the transfercase dropdown spacers.

Loud? Right now it's only got open headers and it's inside my shop where everything echos, loud is not the word to describe it. But I don't care because as soon as I seen the oil pressure gauge settle in at 30psi at operating temp I was happy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The clutch cylinder adapter arrived today from Z&M just in time for me to get the jeep running for the ride home from work today. About 1/2 way home the temp gauge was reading 220 and climbing. After pulling to the side of the road and letting the engine cool the starter(exide rebuild) decided the under hood temp was to much and it would take the rest of the day off. Called a friend, got a ride, got tools, pulled starter, swapped in spare and proceeded home. Well the first mistake was a poorly operating dial back timming light that caused the timming to be about 4 degrees after tdc(oddly enough the engine ran pretty good besides the heat). with out a swivel socket at home to get at the distributor hold down I had to scrape a few layers of skin off using the only 1/2" wrench I had(a stubby wrench no less). The T18 shifts flawlessly and the 205's 1.96 low range dont seem so bad with the rediculous 6.32 that the trans offers. Let me tell you one thing though, little 31" mud terrains and about 200 horse power don't fair verry well on wet pavement. Hole shots are once again possible although a little noisy with the custom bent homemade exhaust. The napa/borgwarner clutch is still a little stiff(should soften up over time) and the rear drive shaft has a slight vibration at about 45-50 but a shim or two under the rear axle should remedy it. All that is left is to close up the gaping hole in the floor and try to refitt the carpet(I think I'm gonna have to get a new front section from an auto and cut it to fit). Then it is off to the welding shop for the front cage and the skid plate fabrication. As soon as I can get the pics off of the digital cammera I'll throw'em up so everyone can get a look.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

HUH?? WHA????

When I got my engine in, I had to drive it to the muffler shop EARLY on a Saturday morning. Damn that thing was loud!! But I just shoved the clutch in and coasted by the the police station. I'd let it coast forever, I hated to let that clutch back out. The sound was UNREAL. And the ear-to-ear grin on my face, probably wasn't helping things either!!!

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts