Off Roading Forums banner

Isuzu Engines and such

13K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  blowns10 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased an '88 Isuzu Trooper. It runs but the previous owner said there is problems with a head gasket and that the block may be cracked. The transmission exterior has got a lot of sludge, so I am pretty sure it is. I was wondering if I found a 2.8L from a S-10 if it would be an easy swap, if there would be lots of adapters and such. If that is not very feasible, does any one know where to find reasonably cheap priced rebuilt engines for this vehicle. I bought it for 100$ and dont want to put much more than 1500$ into an engine, as I dont know that I can preform the swap entirely on my own, and will probably have to pay for labor as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. i havnt had a 4x4 in 5 years, and I cant wait to be wheeling this thing.

#3 ·
Isuzu 2.8 help/info

Isuzu added the 2.8 V6 GM engine to the 89-91 trooper 2, I am unsure if the 2.8 V6 will fit; however, I can tell you that it will be wider and most likely longer than the original inline 4 2.6 liter engine. Besides that you would have to scrounge up the donor 2.8 GM engine along with the corresponding transmission (4 speed 700R4-from an s10), grab the complete wiring harness, computer and sensors from the s10 (better yet buy a complete s10) it will make the swap much easier. HOWEVER, a much wiser solution is to look for a trooper that originally came with that engine and start from there; you could easily sell the one you have for more than what you paid for. You coud add a stroker kit, bore the engine over .020", add total seal piston rings, add a jet computer chip, fab an exhaust (none is available for the trooper), add a holley throttle body, swap over to royal purple synthetics and do some more mods for even better performance. There is way oo much for me to get into detail about this...I have beeen looking for ways to increase the output of the 2.8 V6 engine for years (and I'm still searching)!!. Try searching the off-road archives for "2.8 liter performance"; that's what I used some time ago and came across some interesting information for adding more ponies to the 2.8 V6. You could keep the 2.6 but with the addition of bigger tires and a lift, it really makes the squirrel scream!!!...step up to V6 power for a better performing vehicle. Whatever you choose good luck and if I can be of any more help just ask!!

#4 ·
thanks, one more thing

well, i believe me trans is fine. I dont really want to replace that if not nessecary. so if i put the same size, the 2.6, in there, where would you recommend i try to find one. i have checked my local pickapart, but cant find one. i have tried looking online, but i dont understand core and shipping prices. i dont believe mine will get a core

#5 ·
Isuzu Tech

Ok well let me see here.....here are the options for the 2.6 I-4:
--K&N Air filter (stock replacement)
--Flex A Lite Electric Fan
--Jet Performance Computer Chip
--Total Seal Piston Rings
--CarSound Catalytic Converter
--Royal Purple Oils
--Custom Fabbed Exhaust
and also do a complete overhaul.

You can purxhase a kit from northern auto parts.com; they have decentlly priced kits with quality parts. With these mods you should see a noticeable improvement in power with better mileage gains if you drive it the same way as before. That's pretty much all I know that is available for this engine, try doing a google search for "Isuzu Trooper Performance" or something along those lines, I know there is some information out there. GOOD LUCK!!

#7 ·
Forgot to mention...

Ok, as far as obtaining a overhauled engine, I would suggest you check with the local engine rebuilders/machine shops in your area. The reason I say this is because it's better than looking elsewhere and will save you both time and money!!. You could do a budget minded rebuild like I stated before and use an overhaul kit as I suggested. The couple of places that do come to mind are ATK engines; they have a 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty and come ready to be installed, the downside is price.....they are quite expensive, but worth the investment for a sound replacement engine. Another option is to go to a auto parts store like autozone, pep boys, kragen, o'reilly, etc. and check on their prices for a rebuilt engine. The core charge is what you get charged for when obtaining a rebuilt engine, that is reimbursed to you once they receive your rebuildable core, and as far as shipping goes that depends if you buy your engine locally or elsewhere and companies have different methods and prices for doing this. If you have the time I suggest you take a college course in engine rebuilding, you can learn a great deal and overhaul your engine probably for less than what you would pay at other places. Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance!!.

#8 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your information. My mother-in-law works in Carquest HQ here in town, and she told me she can get me a discount for what i need, so thats good info to know. I also like the info you gave to help power it up. thank you for your help and addvice:grin:

#9 ·
Isuzu Help

Oh ok, that will make your parts availity a lot easier and you will also get a discount, that's great!!. As far as the custom exhaust goes, I would recommend a 2.25" exhaust; the specs for the OEM are probably 2" because it's a small engine. Another resource for a bit more power is the use of Accel cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs; I saw a honest 5 hp 3 ft. lb. torque at the wheels!!!....I am pretty sure they make components for your engine. Another is to check out the CALMINI Products Inc. - Suzuki, Nissan, Isuzu Suspension Systems and Lift Kits website they have lot's of stuff for several different vehicles. If you don't want to use Royal Purple Oils (I know they are pretty expensive) you can just use a good quality oil such as Valvoline (I used it in a 91 Honda Accord since new to me 112,569 miles or so (I don't recall exactly but it was more than 112,000 miles) until it got sold with 300,145 miles or so (again don't recall exactly but it was slightly over 300,000 miles); all without a rebuild, however when sold it was in dire need of one!!. Or another option is to use Castrol Syntec Oil, I have heard great things; no firsthand experience though. Or you could just swap the differential, transmission, transfer case, and power steering fluid with Royal Purple and use conventional oil for your engine (because you will switch it more often than the others). Regardless I am glad I could shed some light on the situation, and give you some performance upgrades that you may want to consider....I mean to me it's best to do some mild performance upgrades during the overhaul because you are already doing the work, might as well get some more power while you are at it!!. Glad to be of some help and good luck with the overhaul, let me know how it turns out.

#10 ·
Forgot to mention

:DDon't forget to replace little items like vacuum hoses, EGR valve, Oxygen sensor, PCV Valve, and the engine & transmission mounts, it's cheap insurance!!!....or at least check to make sure they are still good and replace if needed. If you want you can spray the engine with some paint and and also spray the engine bay for a cleaner looking overhaul, not to mention it will make service much more enjoyable without all the grease and grime that accumulates there. You're welcome for the help, just glad to be able to help someone who needed some info/help. Are you gonna add a lift kit and bigger tires? Regardless, have fun!!

#11 ·
Plans and a few more questionshoses and such, Will it be easy to know what doesnt com

I will swap out for some royal oils here in the drive way but if I purchase a new crate engine instead of opting for the overhual kit will i still need to buy my own new vacuum hoses, EGR valve, Oxygen sensor, PCV Valve, or the engine & transmission mounts, or will I be okay with the crate. Also how is hagling with engine shops. can i convince them to go lower somehow, or is it a pretty solid pricing system. The tire that came on it are in great condition with aggressive tread pattern, so i dont think i will change em for a bit. i probably wont add a lift either because in comparison to the s-10 and f-250XLT i learned how to wheel in, it feels top heavy. I love to sidehill, and dont want to push my luck. Also, we just started house shopping. the houses we are looking at all have nice shop/garages, so i may attempt the install over the winter. My father works in a VW restoration shop, and has access to people with import engine skills. Thanks again. Will post more as my project progesses!:D

#12 ·
Cheap Insurance

When you mention a "new crate engine" do you mean brand new never used or do you mean "new" as in overhauled a used engine to as new specs?. Yes you should purchase the following product brand new:
--Vacuum hoses, engine & transmission mounts, EGR valve, PCV valve,
--Oxygen Sensor,etc. (You don't have to buy them if the parts are in good condition; however, I really do recommend you replace them, it's just cheap insurance. You don't want to have any problems after installing a new or rebuilt engine!). As far as haggling with engine shops go, that's a tough one to call, some shops will have fixed prices yet others will SOMETIMES reduce the price, even if it's very minimal. Some things you could do to reduce the cost, since your dad works in a shop....is you guys could pull the engine out and take it to the machine shop then after it's overhauled put it back in and add all the new hoses, emissions equipment and mounts....that alone will save you some money because rebuild shops charge you to remove & reinstall the engine. Or you could ask your dad to recommend a shop to you since your dad has contacts, they could reduce the amount you pay!!. Insted of the overhaul, you could remove the old engine install the new one and replace the required components with your dad's help. Top heavy, I know what you mean my S10 Blazer feels that way it's only got 30" tires but it takes me to some pretty awesome places!!. Good luck on your home shopping, the garage is the most important thing (at least for me)!!. The winter time will probably be the best time for the install, since you will most likely have the time to do all the work. Take it easy!!:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Forgot to mention

As far as the performance parts go....there was one thing where I was wrong:
.....I mentioned that there is no exhaust system available.....there is one available, it is from the CALMINI Products Inc. - Suzuki, Nissan, Isuzu Suspension Systems and Lift Kits website I mentioned previously; it is a 2.25" exhaust system comes with all the hardware needed to install it and comes with a stainless steel tip the price is $299.95. They have a header also, but I am unsure if it's legal to use where you are....it's a ceramic coated header and is a Tri-Y design (great for low end torque when wheeelin'), it come with all hardware and gaskets the pricce is $259.95; they also have a combo kit (both the exhaust and header in one package) the price for it is $519.95 about $80.00 cheaper than buying them separately. As I mentioned I don't know if the header is legal in your area, but here in California it is not, so as far as I know there is no emissions legal header for your vehicle. It is fuel injected, correct?. You can ask your dad if he knows of any shops which flow match injectors; flow matching is a process where the injector is rebuilt and checked for how much fuel it passes, then all injectors will be flow matched to assure equal fuel delivery to each individual cylinder. There is a company called RC Engineering that specializes in this process, they may be reached on their website RC Fuel Injection. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.