Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my HEI my CJ will actually run at 70 MPH. I have noticed that the whole Jeep begins to shake when I go over 65 MPH. It is not a tire issue, it feels like vibration more than a shake. It isn't violent but it feels strange. As soon as I drop below 65 MPH it goes away. What do you guys think?

Thanks

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
its the body panels shaking violently in the airstream.. about to rip off.. its the price you pay for pushing the envelope.... could be many things.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine shakes like hell when I hit 70 mph, I think it is due to a bent rim that nobody can balance for me! But the vibration goes away when I get to 80ish, at about 105mph I don't think there is any rubber touching the road!
I believe my 33's are rated at 30mph??

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif USUALLY.....and I say again, usually....that is caused by DYNAMIC imbalance in very wide tires and rims. Like the guy has them balanced perfectly STATICALLY, but dynamically, they are in nowheresville. Are all your wheel weights on the outside perchance? Or are they all on the inside? How about the driveline that cousin Clem made on the front porch? Balanced? Checked for runout? Remember when you blew that rear shaft at Lem's Offroad Jamboree; well maybe the pinion got bent? Is one of the pinions leaking oil and won't stop? Or.....how about them yolks....is the spider in the exact center held securely by the little stoppers on the outside. or did you break one off and not think it mattered? And finally, are you set up right for u-joints? If you run CVs, are the joints at the other end of the shaft at ZERO angle? All this doen't matter at 35 MPH, but when you start getting up to 70, EVERYTHING matters. Time to start sweeping out the corners and get everything like it has to be./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif As always, my crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifrepair team is ready to travel. They've got the time, if you've got the beer./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Are you sure it's not a tire issue? How can you be sure? How many miles are on your MTs? If they were balanced new, and you've got thousands of miles on 'em, balance can change. How *well* are they balanced? How hard did the guy try to get 'em right down to zero? Got any looseness in the front end? tie rods / steering links / wheel bearings? Try changing the positions of the tires, front to back, left to right, see if it changes the shaking/vibrating. This may give you an idea of what you've got. Bent rim is a possibility too - keep in mind the one thing that is different from a balancing machine to when it's on the jeep - there's weight on the tire and the rim, and the tire is up against the road.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.