Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the exhaust on my 87 wrangler 258. Do I really need the tailpipe or can I just put a turndown on the muffler? I want to keep it within the framrails, not going out the side. The heat shouldn't be an issue for the gas tank. Is there another reason I sould put on a tailpipe? Legality isn't an issue.

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Mud dog mine is exactly that and I will tell you as soon as a couple of$ roll in the exhaust is going all the way uot the back!!!!!!!
This is a large "quiet type" muffler and it still makes a pretty good drone in the cab , not to mention the most important part FUMES. You can smell them pretty heavy w/ the top on sitting still for any lenght of time.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

· Registered
789 Posts
Depending on local laws, it may need to have a tailpipe that exits from under the body. You really should do that anyway for safety reasons. I imagine in Iowa you'll be running with the top on and windows up. And that could kill you before you know it.

C-Ya.....................kh

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would the fumes be really that bad? Would the fumes come in around the door and tailgate openings? I used to have a 63 ford 4 door with dual exhaust without tailpipes and with no turndowns. It had rusted out holes everywhere and never did I get fumes inside of it. If that much fumes can get in, can't that much fresh air come in too?

· Registered
401 Posts
Yes, the fumes can get pretty bad in a Jeep. I had a pipe going straight out the back of my CJ5, and the fumes were bad. I cut it off and put on an angled pipe going out the side, and it's MUCH better now.

-Dana

Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

· Registered
13,180 Posts
25 years have passed since my Fire Dept. and EMT training... but the one fact that still sticks in my mind was that blood has 210 times the affinity for carbon monoxide than it does for oxygen. In other words, it's 210 times easier for the blood to accept carbon monoxide than it is to accept oxygen. So, when you ask how bad are the fumes, you're really asking how slow do you want to DIE. Let me be real blunt about this:

This stuff kills,
You will wake up DEAD,
The price or look of a tail pipe ain't woth it.

Good Jeepin'

Larry

G

·
OK I agree with you all but right now I don't have any exits on my dual exhaust, the mufflers just exit right in front of the rear axle and i haven't had any problems.....I do plan on running out the back after my axle swap and SOA, but why doesn't it affect my Jeep but everyone else says it affects theirs??

I run a Chevy 350 with Heddman headers and dual exhaust, the pipes off the headers are 2 1/4" and go straight back to the mufflers....any ideas?

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Good thinking muddog.

Absolutjeep, I'd say your just lucky. Actually, I'd probably not have any trouble with no exhaust pipes
either, I drive almost all interstate and my Jeep seals pretty tight. BUT, get stuck in one lousy traffic
jam and it could all be over AND the bad part is you won't notice it's happening to you.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
The bad thing about carbon monoxide (or should I say another bad thing) is that it is not immediately cleared from your system with the introduction of fresh air. There is apparently an, at least short term, accumulative toxicity to it. That is, a mechanic that works in a closed garage for a few days with the motor running too long may walk out 4 out of the 5 days, depending on his dose.....and then fall over dead on the fifth.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

· Registered
4,520 Posts
well... i have run turn downs for awhile.. and it smells just as bad as when it ran out the back.. but the two problems that i did run into are. .. 1) on long trips i had vapor lock, and my exhaust was nowhere near the gas tank or lines. @) on long trips (again) it heated up the seals in my axle, bam gear lube running out the ends.. go with a tail pipe or run it out the side.. safer and cheaper in the long run.....

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Everyone has asked the question, but no answer yet. So here goes. The reason that it is more dangerous for the exhaust to terminate under the vehicle is because, simply, hot gasses rise. The fumes want to escape from under the tub so they go through cracks, access holes, drain holes, whatever they can. Fresh air would do the same, but since it is at ambient temperature, it doesn't need to.
Once the exhaust enters the passenger compartment, it will begin to replace (and push out) good air, from the ceiling down. A hot air balloon is a great example.
Routing the exhaust out the sides or rear of the tub lets the gasses float as far up as they want. And thus deplete the ozone so that in another 1000 years we all die. (Boy, that should stir up a BUNCH of responses!)
All this talk reminds me of the dangers of hydrogen-dioxide./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif You've been warned!!!!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

(former user: ddehaan)

· Registered
7,901 Posts
I think it's Dihydrogen-monoxide and yes, it's the most dangerous stuff on the earth. My engine doesn't run well with high concentrations in the air, it has killed I don't know how many people and animals, and at times can't be seen, smelled, or tasted. It drifts in from the Western states and is a byproduct of car emissions, mostly new cars. Don't people realize THIS STUFF KILLS! Maybe we could get the Enviros to outlaw it.

I had planned, among other mods this winter, to do the same with the exhaust. My parent's '71 Chevy 3/4 ton has the exhaust this way (dual), and they don't seem to have had any problems (or maybe they have, they're getting a little quirky). In Maine it's illegal to have the exhaust exit before the passenger compartment, but having a Scrambler (classified as a pickup), I don't have to worry about this law. I had planned on the exhaust exiting after the cab but before the axle, with the tip turned down. I still have the stock exhaust but was looking for as much power as I could get out of the GM151 as the 350 swap is still over a year away. I am now thinking of not doing it, anyone like it and not want to go back? Reasons?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Thanks for setting me straight JEEPN - my major was math not chemistry. Every body of water tested has shown high consentrations of this garbage!

(former user: ddehaan)

· Registered
5,526 Posts
http://www.circus.com/~nodhmo/ Speaking of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO), I remembered this site of a group wanting to ban it... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It's funny, check it out... Actually it's frightening that people want to ban something like hydrogen hydroxide... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Heck......the results just got back from the lab.... well the news isn't good. I've been found, due to a lifetime of exposure to the substance, to be composed of about 85% of the stuff. Doc's don't know how long I have ......could be tomorrow.......could be 50 years......they just don't know. All that I can do is keep on moving and hope for the best.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem with going out the side is getting the muffler and pipe banged up while offroading. If this was a street only jeep I could easily have ran my pipes on the outside of the fram and had it going out the side. Another problem with this settup is that a pickup is longer. To run it out the side on mine I would have to have a 90 angle behind the muffler. And the pipe would still be rubbing on the front of the tire. Nice try though.

87 wrangler

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.