Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,736 Posts
How old is the lift? My 4" springs had sagged to the point that the exact same thing happened - mine was really close. I went with a 1" longer shackle in back (3/8" steel plate, homemade), and now it has some flex. In your condition you are a prime candidate to crack or rip off a spring hanger on the front of the rear springs, or at least really beat up the bushings in the frame and the springs.

If the lift is new I agree with the other posts - you've got the wrong springs.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
First off, I can't believe you've been driving the thing for a year this way if it is right up against the frame - isn't it a terrible ride?

Second, as far as I know, the front and rear springs on a YJ are supposed to be the same length, so if you did install the fronts in the back, or vise versa, it still wouldn't cause this problem.

Third, one of 2 things is the cause, as I see it. 1) You got the wrong rear springs in your lift kit. 2) The springs have sagged to the point that the spring is right up against the frame - this is what has happened to me. You say that it's been this way all along, so that wouldn't be the case.

Your solution would be 1) get a new shackle that is 1" longer, but be careful that it's not the type with a cross-bar, as the cross bar would hit the frame too, causing the same problem. 2) Get new rear springs. 3) add an add-a-leaf.

Just my opinion. Any other ideas anyone?

good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.