Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear shackle is always touching my frame. This means the rear part of the leaf spring pack is always touching the frame so there is no give in the shackle when I hit a bump. Is this ok? My front shackle hangs down straight so when I hit a bump or go over a hole it helps to absorb some of the shock. But on the rear the shackle only moves when I go over a hole. Allowing for plenty of down stroke on the axle but the up stroke is completely absorbed by the shock and spring. Is this setup wrong?

89 Yj black diamond spring under 3.5" lift with 33" tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes it is. It sounds like you got the wrong springs. This will give you no suspension travel at all, you might as well have the rear welded to the frame. the spring has to get longer as it compresses, in your case the spring can not expand therefor you have no travel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what part number (in yellow) is on your springs? I'll go home tonight and look... Make sure the 5 leaf is in the back (yes, from experience)... I caught that before I drove though...

My springs (3.5") are no-where NEAR my frame...

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

· Registered
1,736 Posts
How old is the lift? My 4" springs had sagged to the point that the exact same thing happened - mine was really close. I went with a 1" longer shackle in back (3/8" steel plate, homemade), and now it has some flex. In your condition you are a prime candidate to crack or rip off a spring hanger on the front of the rear springs, or at least really beat up the bushings in the frame and the springs.

If the lift is new I agree with the other posts - you've got the wrong springs.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find a part number on mine. I had a 4x4 shop install it so You'd think they would know what they are doing. The springs are almost a year old now. They have always been in this position with the shackle.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
First off, I can't believe you've been driving the thing for a year this way if it is right up against the frame - isn't it a terrible ride?

Second, as far as I know, the front and rear springs on a YJ are supposed to be the same length, so if you did install the fronts in the back, or vise versa, it still wouldn't cause this problem.

Third, one of 2 things is the cause, as I see it. 1) You got the wrong rear springs in your lift kit. 2) The springs have sagged to the point that the spring is right up against the frame - this is what has happened to me. You say that it's been this way all along, so that wouldn't be the case.

Your solution would be 1) get a new shackle that is 1" longer, but be careful that it's not the type with a cross-bar, as the cross bar would hit the frame too, causing the same problem. 2) Get new rear springs. 3) add an add-a-leaf.

Just my opinion. Any other ideas anyone?

good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wheels are centered and both shackles are bottomed out. If I jack up the rear to the point where the shackles are straight, then slowly let it down they don't go all the way to bottoming out. But as soon as I jump on the bumper or Hit a bump when driving, they go to bottoming out.

I didn't notice this for a while because I had a rear bumper that bolted to the frame and the bolts kept the shackles from hitting the frame. So the rear looked like it was about 1/2 inch higher then than it does now. When I took this off, I noticed the rear tires rubbing the flares. I looked at the shackles and noticed they were constantly touching the frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you have springs that are too short, or the spring hanger could have been moved.

Was the Jeep /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif in an accident? I do not think you should just run out and add an add-a-leaf (though this may work)... This won't solve the overall problem.

Do you have a shop nearby, or mechanically inclined friend? Is there any curvature in the springs, or are they flat? You could have a broken leaf in there somewhere... (though, that wouldn't explain why both shackles are hitting...)

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do notice it often leans to the drivers side more than it sits level. But I had always thought this was maybe due to removing the rear track bar.
How do you look for a broken leaf spring?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe this is too easy a suggestoin, but what about taking it back to the 4x4 shop that installed it. If its been like that forever, it seems to me that the installer did something wrong. If thats true these guys ought to fix their mistake.

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a stupid question : Is there any way you could get a picture posted to the bbs?

Is the spring ahead or behind the frame shackle mount?

Just something that might help somebody else say aHAH!

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I probably will take it back. I have to go and pick up some soft doors from there anyway. I also need them to install my new SYI hypershackles for the rear. Do you know if it could be from tightening the u-bolts down to much.? I recently was doing some adustments to shim my axle and really torqued down my u-bolts that hold the springs to the axle pad. Could this cause my springs to flatten?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 1" longer hypershackles coming. I hope this works. I can't get the old bolt out though. As for as the ride, I just figured it was the result of a lifted jeep. The front has a shackle reversal and handles bumps great. It's the rear that jars your teeth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like your springs have lots of arc left... and that your shackle botls are cranked down TOO much. Try loosening the bolts a bit. Proper torque is only like 40-45lbs... (less on stock shackles?) not 75 (which would be "cranking it down", with leverage.

My MORE boomerang shackles have a center bolt (currently finger tight) and the hanger and spring shackles are at 30-35, maybe less... nice and loose.. Maybe too loose for highway... but it really does help.

Good luck... (good thing you posted that pic, I imagined it the OTHER way...)/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.