Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if it was safe (not sure if safe is the right word to use) to have a 3in body lift, w/ an RE 4.5 inch lift, to fit 35's w/ a nice amount of play??? Or is it just overkill? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Body lift ends up giving nightmares if you do a lot of rock crawling. Everyone that I know says that you should run no more than an inch of body lift. I have a 98 TJ with the RE 4.5 and 1 inch of body and I run 35's. I am in the rocks with it every weekend and have no problems with articulation. I live in So. Cal and run all of the local stuff.
Good luck.
Axlesupagain
98TJ 4.56 Detroits 96XJ 3.73 Lockright

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would definitely stay away from 3" of body lift....if you have a YJ and want to clear 35"s all you need is the RE kit and 1.5-2" of lift and that will clear the 35's with plent of room. My friend has the RE kit and a 1" body lift and he has room for 35's no prob....he runs 33's and wishes he had 35's!!!

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter,
let me know what you go with. I also have an 89 wrangler with 4" suspension, 1 more inch in front from a shackle reversal, 1" more in rear from Hypershackles. I run 33's but want 35's. So I've been wondering if I should go with a body lift and what size.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Re: Is it safe?

That depends. For trail riding and rock crawling, setting the body up too high is dangerous. Even on the street it will handle poorly. If at all possible, stay away from body lifts over 2", if at all!
For a show vehicle, on the other hand, it would be fine, 'cause you're just wanting to look good.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It throws your balance off. Now on normal road driving, you may be able to contend with that, but on the rocks, teetering over a boulder or ambling down a cliff, that may be the difference between traction and a roll-over.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Is it safe to....??? What????

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about?

As for stability - any kind of lift will offer the problems you suggest.

Compare a 2" body lift to a 2" suspension lift, the SUSPENSION lift will offer worse "tippiness" than the body lift simply because with the suspension lift you have lifted more of the weight of the vehicle.

A body lift only lifts the body where the suspension lift lifts the frame & body. Common sense tells you that when you lift more weight higher up - you will get more "tippy" on the trail & road.

A body lift can allow the weight of the FRAME and ENGINE, TRANNY, T-CASE to stay closer to the ground than a suspension lift of the same height. Don't even get into ground clearance issues - that is not the arguement here.

To sum this up - if you take 2 vehicles, one with a 2" suspension lift and one with a 2" body lift - the one with the body lift has "lifted" less weight, and should (ignoring increased spring rates that usually accompany lift springs) handle BETTER on the road and trail since you have less raised "weight" shifting around.

David
Davids 4x4 Page

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Re: Is it safe to....?

And your explaination to John (jun11) is . . . ??? Or do you think a body lift is better than a suspension lift? Not many people just do a lift and nothing else. Also consider larger tires, extended articulation, etc...
The main reason for staying away from a large body lift is: it just plain looks dumb. My 2 cents worth.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You are all missing the point...A high body lift is not good because the bolts and mounts can not take the extra force created by the longer body mounts...for example....what do you do when you are trying to get a bolt off?...you use a breaker bar that has more length to give you greater force...Now...take your jeep...if you have 1" body mounts then when you hit your breaks you have say 1000 lbs of body trying to move bolts that are 1" from the frame...Now move that body 3" from the frame...hit the breaks and you now have 3 times the force on those bolts and mount points.....its not designed for that...
In addition, the mount points are designed for 'shear' strength, not torsional strength...which is what happens as the body moves away from the frame.
The real concern is not on the trail but on the streat where you will get much greater forces as in a panic stop....I have seen body lifts shear on impacts of less the 20 MPH....not a good thing.

Another issue is all the work required when you go above 2"....for one, you will have to either move the radiator down or remove the fan shrowd (which will hurt cooling)...not to mention the length of the clutch rod...wires and cables...etc. What looks like a cheap mod ends up being more expensive than you think....

I consider body lifts to be in the same ball park as shackle lifts....trust me, it won't be long before you take it off and go with a real lift.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My choice would have been to just do a SOA. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

·
Registered
969 Posts

As to which is better, it really depends. You have to factor in your use, your budget, your needs, and your long term goals for the vehicle.

That is why I can't stand it when someone blanketly says body lifts are bad. This is about as bad as people that blanketly say front lift blocks are bad. Sure, I would say that for street driven rigs front blocks are a no-no, but if it is trail only, there is no problem. In saying this, there are times when a body lift fits your needs.

Like when you want to run 38" or larger tires on a Jeep. There is no way to do this with a suspension lift only. In this case, the body lift would supplement the suspension lift and round out a nice package.

To reply to the original post, I think he will most likely need the body lift to go WITH the suspension lift to clear the 35" tires he wants. I would think a 2" body lift would work, but that is up to him.

As to it being "safe" as he asked - if done correctly there are no safety issues to worry about.

David
Davids 4x4 Page

·
Registered
969 Posts

No, I think you are missing the point.

He want to clear 35" tire. I guess your suggestion would be to go out to buy a 7" suspension lift for his Jeep?

He is planning to use a 4.5" suspension lift in conjunction with a body lift to clear the tires. You have a better solution?

As to your theories about the body lift adding stresses, this is true to an extent - but this comes down to use. The only time I have heard of people having problems with body lifts failing is when they are either launching their trucks on jumps, or the tub was rusting, or the lift was not installed correctly. I have seen WAY too many body lifted Jeeps last for years.

And by the way, there are ways to build your own body lift to solve the shear stresses you mentioned, but I won't go into that here unless someone want me to.

BTW - I see you are another of the crowd who think longer than stock shackles are useless - just keep thinking that... They have their place, they are just often misused.

David
Davids 4x4 Page

·
Registered
7,901 Posts

I think things get a little skewed at times. Peter asked if it was overkill to go with a suspension and body lift. The answer is no. There are pros and cons to every lift at every height. There are also exceptions to every rule. I like a mix that works for me, I have a 4" suspension, 1" shackle, and 2" body lift to achieve my lift, and to fit the 38's, I'll also have to do some fender trimming. SOA's have their limitations, like being illegal in Maine, so make sure you check your local lift laws, every state is different. If you don't have any, I envy you.

Sure, too tall a body lift can snap the bolts. Too tall a suspension lift doesn't allow flex and can ruin the frame. Too tall a shackle lift changes angles and can ruin u-joints. Too much water causes drowning. Too much sun causes burns. Too much cold leads to freezing. I think I've beat the point to death. Just the right amount can be a good thing. So how much is the right amount? That's for each individual person to decide. What works for me won't work for someone else the same way. Experiences and expectations are too different.

So will it work, Peter? Probably. It has worked for others and it has not worked for others. The only way to see if you'll like it is to do it. I like my lift, would have liked the SOA better I think, but this works for me. Remember, if you don't like it, change it, nothing is written in stone (just don't tell my wife that). Everything also has its drawbacks, just be sure to weigh the pros and cons of each and come to a decision. I hope this helps and good luck.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you guys so much; I have always received very smart remarks, to my rather simplified questions, lol... I hope that in time I too will be able to make such accurate and keen assessments, and also very truthfully, and poignant points.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Thank you so much,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.