Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear of my jeep sits higher than the front. I want to level it by putting a longer shackle on the front but I have a shackle reversal kit on my jeep. Will this create a problem since the front shackle is on the rear of the leaf pack? I only need to lift it 1/2 inch. My front shackle is 3.5" long.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't see any reason why not. If you have stock front shackles on the rear of your front springs, I believe the BHC (from the cent of one bolt to the center of the other) is actually 4", but an additional .5" should be no problem. I am leveling out my jeep doing the same thing (.5" shackle lift up front) but mine aren't reversed yet.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a previous life I had a toyota pu and the front shcakles were "reversed" There was no problem with using longer shackles. though if you want 0.5" in lift you need to use 1" longer shackles. The longer shackles will rotate the pinion down, but really not a problem.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
i put 5" (center of bolt to center of bolt) shackles on the front of my jeep to level it out. i have a shackle reversal kit too. so far, no problems.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you go much more then .5" shackle lift you should ad shims under the springs to compensate for the change in pinion angle and camber(or caster which ever is the tilt of the axis on which the wheel turns)

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
definately get the front aligned afterward. i had three degrees of caster before. with the new shackles and 2 degree shims, i am close enough to the recommended 6 degrees for the widetrack front axle.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.