Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '81 Scrambler with a Dana 300. The speedo is 15 mph fast and I'm wondering how easy it is to change the gear in the transfer case. Also, where do you get replacement speedo gears?

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
15 mph fast at what speed? It will be off a percentage so the absolute difference will change with speed.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
No it is not hard to change the speed so it will read correctly.
On the D300 you take off the speedo housing on the Xcase and replace the gear inside. The best place to find the gears is at a Jeep dealership, and they are pretty cheap. I think one can be had for about $15.
While you have everything apart, pull out your speedo cable and lube it up. Good luck.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
So it is reading 23% fast. You need a drive gear with ~23% more teeth to slow it down.

G

·
I have the same problem on my 91 YJ. I believe it is because the stock differentials (3.07) have been replced with 4.11's. The speedometer reading needs to be taken down by 25% to get the actual speed, and 3.07/4.11 = .75

Anyway, thanks for re-posting the speedo calculator.

Does anyone know how to change the speedo on a 91 YJ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.