Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl friend just got a jeep (1990 Wrangler 6 cyl) and it starts really hard. Is this normal for a jeep or dose it just need a tune up really bad. Also I realized the ehter day that the oil presher gagge is always as high as it can go (all the way to the right) This dose not seam right to me but it seam to run fine.

· Registered
369 Posts
I had a hard time starting my 90 YJ when I first got it. Eventually I figured out how to get it started right away. If it's cold enough for the choke to be working, I pump the gas one time to set the choke and let off the gas while it's starting. If it's warm, I hold the gas about half way down while starting. This is how the owner's manual says to do it and it works pretty good.

Some people upgrade their ignition systems and this helps too. I installed a Jacob's high enrgy coil ($60) and a set of Jacob's plug wires ($45). It does start better, sometimes it will start right up even if I don't follow the above proceedure.

jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just about every Wrangler I've ever seen has this same problem with their oil pressure gauge. It is not a true reading of your oil pressure, in fact it's almost like an "idiot light" you can almost ignore it until it drops extremely low.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the oil pressure gague sending unit when mine did that and that fixed it. Cost about ten bucks and ten minutes.
JP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.