Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a running 92 4.0L complete with computer, harness and everything except gas tank. Guy wants $800. I plan to rebuild whatever I decide to get. Is the EFI - head that different from later versions? All I really want is a solid reliable daily driver. Is the extra cost $700 of getting 94 or later worth it? Ideas, opinions and suggestions appreciated.
Bryan...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Everything I've seen there are very few differances, If any, between these two motors. If you are using this motor for a swap into a older vehicle there definatly is not $700 in differance between the two motors(unless maybe one has alot fewer motors then the other)

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

·
Registered
257 Posts
rockcrawler.com has an article detailing the swap from 258 to 4.0.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would opt for the cheaper one. I am not familiar with the early 4.0's, but I am pretty confident that they are the same. The only think that may be different would maybe be electrical? It seems from http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/amc242.html that the engines are technically identical from '91 to present. Maybe call a auto store or engine exchange place to double check.
Go Badgers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 92 4.0 in my CJ. The computer is for a 94. Mistake made in identifcation at purchase. The only difference was the crank sensor plug between the two years. Everything else bolted or plugged together correctly. I know of no differences except the wire colors used in the harness. Since you will get the whole package you will not have the headaches I had. I would highly suggest that you get the factory manual. The schematics for the wire harness are very helpful when you try to identify the places you need to splice into to make it run. Also helps with trouble shooting. It is a bit costly($90),but well worth it. My motor on;ly had 14000 on it. Good luck with it and if you have questions I will try to answer. Jeepskate also has done the swap and is a good source. Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.