Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can an intake manifold from a 231 evenfire go on a 225 oddfire? All the ports and bolts seem to match but am I missing the obvious?

I have been a viewer of this board for a long time and would like to thank all the contributions you people make, both directly and indirectly.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I believe the odd-fire intake is specifically designed for the different pulses of the odd-fire engine. I wouldn't try it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I do know that Offenhauser makes a Dual Port 4 bbl intake for the odd-fire 225's & 231's, (part #6035-DP), and a different one for the '77-'78 even-fire 231's, (part #6167-DP). Kinda like putting an even-fire HEI on an odd-fire motor. Sure it'll run, but it could run better with the parts designed for the type motor being used. Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I've got the 231 intake and carb so I will try it at no cost. Can't afford the Offenhauser right now or that would be my preference.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You're probably better off with the 2 bbl intake. Just think that it should be one from an odd-fire, but that's just me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I picked up a V6 performance book (can't remember the title) that claimed the intakes for certain year ranges had to match the heads when discussing the heads. In the section on available intake manifolds, it stated the aftermarket guys made the same manifold for all of the Buick V6s.

Looking at the few manifolds I've collected, if you don't care about an EGR or where you attach the heater hoses - they should work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading the discussion, the topic is very near my nterest....I recently acquired a 70 Commando which had a '79 buick 231 swapped in....curious about just the opposite question, whether a 225 intake manifold will bolt up and be usable with this engine? As an add on question, will a 225 distributor work in the same '79 231? mgb

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
The oddfire manifold the 225 used was a single plane manifold. The reason they went that route was they wanted torque, since the oddfire is a torquey little turkey.

Seems like I remember discussions about the 231's are all dual plane. Dual plane gives better throttle response and higher speed performance, but doesn't give that sub-idle grunt.

Seems also like I remember discussions about the manifolds swap OK except for the tall port heads?

If everything lines up, I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The '79 231 is a tall-port even-fire engine. The 225 is a low-port odd-fire engine. I wouldn't even waste my time trying to use the 225 intake or distributor on a '79 231. Also, everything I've read regarding 4 bbl intake manifolds says that dual-plane intakes provide more low-end while single-plane intakes provide more high-end. I would assume that the same would hold true for 2 bbl intakes if there is such a thing as a single and dual plane 2 bbl intakes. But I am a bear of very little brain.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I've used my Weiand intake manifold (bought for a 225) on both my 225 and on my 231. Worked fine on both. I could not tell any ill effects. Maybe you could with some kind of dyno or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went away for a few days and what seemed like an easy answer has become so much juicier.
I wish the Jeepster didn't have other issues or I could do a comparison between the two manifolds. Thanks for the input it may help troubleshoot if things go awry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.