Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deal on 4.3 fell through,so maybe keep 2.4 and hop it up a little.When installing a weber carb,what do you do with all the wires running to the old carb.Also do these wires effect the timing.It is an 86 720 and there is somekind of computer under the drivers seat.I,m not worried about emmission checks,just want some more power for larger tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How many wires are there? There should only be two for the the choke, but I have an 83.5 so it might be different. I think the computer only controls timing but I could be off on that. For the weber all you need is ignition on power for the choke and fuel cut off. Any other quetions be sure to ask, I have been through a lot with my weber. The weber was definety a good investment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems you have computer controlled timing advance and maybe an oxygen sensor. my 84 720 like
striders has only an anti-dieseling solenoid wire and the electric choke wire. timing advance is
vacuum controlled. ask the dealer who sold it to you what you need to do. I would be interested to know.
But I agree with stider, the improvement is real and worth the bucks once you get it tweaked up. I had
fun making my own open element air cleaner from two 12" steel pizza pans and the stock air filter. the
chromed one seemed too restrictive to me.

720s Forever

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven,t bought the weber yet.My truck is computer controlled,the local speed shop says they can probally get me a carb,but don,t really know anything about the computer.I don,t want to buy it then find out it won,t run right without the computer hooked up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have an 86 720 kc and am looking into a webber. From what a few people have told me, including a mechanic I trust, a
computer of that year is not advanced enough to even know whether or not the original carb is hooked up. I believe that the computer
controls ignition and also something on the carb via an o2 sensor. If you hook up your webber the computer should continue to function
properly. However I believe that you should trace all the wire from the computer and see exactly how much of the carb is controlled
by the computer and go to your local dealer and see if you can talk to one of their techs.

One other thing that you could do would be to trow the computer and carb as far into the bush as you could and then bolt on the
webber and then drop in a distributor from a non computer controlled motor. I believe that it will fit. Best to compare side by side first.
Then you will have the webber and you will also have eliminated a weak link of having you computer get wet when off road.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 86 720 and a Weber. If I remember correctly, you have 5 wires running to the Carb. They control the choke, fuel shut off, closed throttle sensor, and two for the air-fuel ratio solenoid thingy. The computer does control the solenoid based on the O2 sensor input but its just for emissions I think. I've played around a lot with that solenoid on my old carb but didn't notice anything important happen with it, that's why I thinks it's just emissions related. Anyway, the Weber will work on your truck, just connect the old choke and fuel shut off wires to the Weber. The computer has no effect on the timing either. If you're not worried about emissions checks follow the directions and disconnect the EGR system. Your truck will be a little jerky when you gun it because of the mechanically opened secondary opposed to the vacuum opened one on the Nissan carb, but it's not that big a deal and the power gains are very worth it.

Bernie
'86 720 "The Stain"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just swapped an 86 Z-24 to a 84 truck you will have to do the same as i did to get rid of the comp. . you nead to change intake, distributor,oil pump shaft , and find a hot wire that is only hot wile the ignition is on(to activate the eletric choke). The hard part is finding the older vacume distributer ,intake and a webber. So its not to hard just swaping. eny Q.s e-mail me or somthing. p.s. dont rule out new parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts