Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok

i just installed ONE TJ flare using a Dewalt Sawzall with the 14tpi blade for metal.

It seemed the blades were VERY weak and i snapped 4 of them just doing one flare.

what is everyone else using for this??

thanks

Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have used a 24 tpi bi-metal sawzall blade. I have also used a cut off wheel for a 4.5 inch grinder. Both worked well kinda personal pref which one. The grinder blades i use are called razorblade 27 and they are made by flexovit. I get them at Red Ball Oxygen a welding supply store.
Oh yeah couldn't remember if I e-mailed you or not I got the pinion. Thanks a bunch. You wouldn't happen to have the race for the pinion bearing do you. Don't go to a lot of trouble to get it out if you still have it. Thanks again. Hope I helped with the trimming.

K-16

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, 14 tpi is awful coarse for metal. Most sheet metal work should be done with at least 24 and preferably 32 tpi. This is going from hacksaw/bandsaw reccomendations, but it will be the same with a sawzall. Go slow to avoid heat warping the sheetmetal, and put some paint on it before you put on the flare.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

· Registered
2,782 Posts
i use a 90degree die grinder for all my sheetmetal work. Beats a jigsaw any day of the week. But you have to have air. I do agree that 14 tooth blade is way to course. Try a 24 or better yet a 32.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.