Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has the instructions on installing gears into a AMC 20 and a Dana 30, I would like to try it myself, I have been readding up on this and would like to see how it goes, but need the backlash adjustments and any other advice someone outh there may have.
Thanks Philip

·
Registered
586 Posts
The backlash adjustments are going to be different for evey axel. Thats why you get a shim kit for the pinnion. This alows you to move the pinnion forward and back.
Just because I don't know what you know make sure before you run out and spend all that money on gears that they will be able to use your old carriers or you will have to buy new cariers also. Dana 30 uses to differnet carriers one for 3.54 and down and one for 3.73 and up. AMC 20's also use two one for 2.73 gears and another for any other gears. The Chilton and Haynes manuals don't go into any detail about setting the backlash but the place you get the gears from should be able to give you some good instructions. Since all gears and axel housing are slightly differnt you will have to add/remove shims from the pinnion until you get the correct pattern. You will have to use this gear marking compound stuff on the gears, turn them forward and back to see if you get the right pattern. I don't know name of the gear compound but a speed shot should be able to help.
Tools for the job would be bearing pullers and a case spreader to allow for easier insursion of the carrier. A press is always nice but you can get away with a brass drift and a hammer.
Good luck.
Anyone else got any other suggestions?
Pigpen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1976 CJ-7 with 3.54 gears. I would like to change out the gears to
4.56 but I read that you posted I would need a new carrier for the front axle, both are stock axles with the exception of moser shafts in the back. Which part of the axle is the carrier and how easy is it to get a new one. I am not thinking about installing these myself but if the carrier is expensive to replace I might just hole off for some different axles and get it out of the way all in one shot.
THANX

Lee R. Byrd

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
the carrier is the part the ring gear bolts to. it also holds the differential gears inside. they are usually around $60 new.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Lee, Check out if you have a 4wd hardware catalog or a Quadratec catalog, they have nice axle drawings that show
the carriers. Drivetrain direct sells the carriers for $55 (you will only need the front carrier, since your 3.54 in the rear already), they also sell a "power package" that has the ring &pinions for the Dana 30 & AMC 20 plus all needed hardware for $419. They told me it would be spicer (for 30) & superior (for
20) ring & pinions. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.