Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting for Scout II and EB axles to swap into my 88 YJ with no luck. I came across a guy the other day who was selling Scout II axles, but had sold them before I called him. He said I would probably want to swap in the Dana 44 rear from a later model Isuzu Rodea. The housing widths are similar AND they have disc brakes. I found a rear end from a 1995 Honda Passport (which is essentially the same as a Rodea), and checked it out. Its housing width was about 2" shorter than a stock YJ Dana 35. The ratio was like a 3.27 which definitely needs to be changed and it has 6-lugs instead of 5. The wrecker wants $450 for it. This sounds like a steal, but does anyone know what really is involved to install this thing in my YJ? Right away, I noticed the pinion yoke did not look at all like it used u-joints. It had a flat square surface with 4 holes (one in each corner). And it may need new rotors. Both of them were rusted and one of them wa cracked. Is this something you guys feel would be worth the investment? Does anyone have an idea about what the best way to go about modifying this would be? (ie: get the lugs re-drilled to 5 on 4.5 OR leave them w/ 6 lugs and get the front end from a Grand Wagoneer which also has 6, etc.)
Has anybody heard about such a swap and can shed some light on it? Please let me know. I'd like to buy this tomorrow if I get some positive response.

-Dorian
www.4Low.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I considered this swap for my CJ, but could never find one at a reasonable cost. The flange can easily be changed to a regular yoke. I would re-check the gear ratio.....most have 4.10s, some had 4.3x, and the 4 cyl with d44s had 4.56. The lug studs are problematic on these axles, and may need to be changed, although i would stick with the 6 lug, and find a GW axle for the front. The biggest downside to using one of these, would probably trying to find spare parts in a bind, as everything except the gears/carrier are Isuzu specific.
JEEPRZ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for a Ford 8.8" rear from an Explorer (very plentiful) for an easier swap. It's housing is about the same size as the Rodeo D44, but it's a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. 95 and newer have disc brakes and if I remember right, most have like 3.55 gears. They do use a c-clip, but the axle shafts are so much stronger that this shouldn't be an issue for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.